QT question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillage

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, just got a quick question about a QT tank. I'm eventually making the jump to SW. I am for sure setting up a QT tank, because sadly I've never had one for my 10 gallon FW tank. I'm in the process of getting an RO/DI unit, and restarting my 10 gallon system due to a crash because of my tap water. Anyways... Would a 10 gallon aquarium be ok for a QT tank for SW stuff? I'm thinking of setting it up now and getting some live rock, and just using it to get used to the SW feel before I jump into it all at once. What can I put in a 10 gallon tank that would make it look good? It currently has some led lighting, but I'd be up to getting better lighting if anything else was going into it. I'd like to have it as a nice display tank that can be used as a QT tank once I get my larger SW tank set up, so I'm interested in adding something else besides LR if possible. Thanks for any advice, I love how everybody gives such good advice. :D

When do you plan on having the main display set up (aka how long will this fish be kept in the 10 gallon)? It really depends on what kind of fish will be kept in this 10 gal, i would suggest only one at a time since its so small. Larger fish will need a larger qt tank.

You could get one clown (smaller species) and some shrimp or something, or maybe one small goby. Not much can live in a 10 gallon tank happily unfortunately.

ps dont forget to cycle the tank

Look up nano tanks... you will get a better idea of fish that you can keep in a 10g... probably only one or two... as for a QT it can be big enough for almost anything if you are only planning it for new fish before they enter the main tank and the ones that get big you get as baby's... actually what size main tank are you getting? A 10g for a 30ish gallon tank seems plenty. As long as your not trying to keep fish that are too big for the 30. If you are planning on getting a 100g I would suggest a 20-50g QT tank... but really it all depends on the fish you plan on keeping. My personal rule (this may not be a good one) Is if your going to keep a fish in a QT for up to 2 months, the tank should not be less then 1/3 the size recommended for the main tank of the fish... So if you were just going to fill a large tank with small schooling fish and you only wanted to QT 1-3 at a time then the 10g might be okay.

Thanks for the replies! My main tank is currently planned to be a 55g, but I'm rethinking and it seems I can and probably will get a bigger tank since one will fit on my stand. I'm not quite sure on the size, but somewhere up towards 90 gallons possibly. Also, couldn't I keep anemones and such? Not just necessarily fish, but I'd like something else besides just some rock... Although a fish would be nice. Thanks for the great info though!

Yes you could keep an anemone... but you want to have an established system first as anemones can have issues with unstable water parameters.

Tank size isn't too much of a problem with nems, your water quality needs to be pristine and your lighting needs to be strong.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably start up some saltwater in my 10g so I can get used to the other water parameters I have to watch and such. Also, what's a good salt to use to make the saltwater? I'll go search also, but thanks for any answers in advance. =)

I use instant ocean salt. That works well for me and it is one of the cheaper varieties. I used to use oceanic and that worked well too. As long as you get main brand you should be fine. Dont go with some ghetto off brand haha

Thanks for the great article melosu58. Also, thanks for the tip Ryan. I'll make sure I read over that article a couple times. Also, I'll look around for some good salt that has a good reputation. Thanks again guys!

Back
Top Bottom