QT tank with meds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since I have been hit with ICH I have asked a few questions and read articles and posts.

I was wondering why it would not be a good idea to QT all new fish and treat with a med such as copper or something else. It seems so likely that at some time you would introduce ICH into a tank that pre treating would make sense. I know from what I read that this is not the suggested procedure and was just wondering why?

I do recommend treating new fish in quarantine with hyposalinity for 3+ weeks BEFORE they are placed into the display tank. This will greatly reduce the incidences of ich outbreaks in reef or display aquariums.
Terry B

So, you guys are saying that you will treat with hyposalinty right when you get the fish, before you notice any outbreak of ick or other problem?

Yes, hyposalinity is not stressful on the fish, start it at a proper salinity and then begin lowering it to the appropriate level for hyposalinity treatment.

Back
Top Bottom