Qting inverts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is very strange about aclimating by setting it out in the air for 10 mins. although I will say that corals can be just fine out of the water for a period of time. somone on here posted a pic of a reef that comes completely out of water almost when low tide sets in, dont remember who it was that posted it though. and then it gets submerged a few hours later, and the coral grows just fine there. although I will say most inverts dont like to be out of water. dont know about hermits but some stars/sponges/clams/bivalves can die from air exposure

edit: found a vid of it
sorry about going off topic I thought it was interesting haha

yeah just thought it was cool. dont aclimate the way the LFS said to that is bad, as others have already said. a slow drip aclimation is best.

There should be a certification available like CAA certified aquarium advisor. You'd have to pass of test of universal standards. That way, everyone would be on the same page.

It's almost criminal the idiotic things workers will say at the LFS.

I only go there to browse the fish - dirty tanks, I'd never buy any. I get food and test kits. Cheap stuff. I buy all my equipment from eBay, online fish stores or craigslist.

You know, if the coral is healthy and going back into a healthy environment, they can take amazing punishment. But most of our artificial systems stress the coral anyway making them less resistant to things like air exposure or fresh water dips. When I buy a coral, I always go from a small fragment, as the reality is that if the conditions are right the coral will grow like a weed. And if not, I haven't wasted a beautiful specimen. This is not a hobby where rushing it works.

Back
Top Bottom