Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I just bought this 20-25 gallon tank off of my friend to use as a QT for my 55 gallon. He also gave me a heater, UGF, air pump, and a cheap lighting fixture (just normal lights, nothing special). My question is... what else will I need for my QT tank? If I cant use the UGF, what little filter should I buy? Should I get LR and sand? I know the water should be the same as the main tank. I am just curious as to what else I need in a QT tank. Thanks!

Filter, heater and lights and something to hide in (pvc, coffee cup etc). Whatever you put in has to be able to be bleached after use. So no lr or substrate.

Really??? So will the UGF be OK? Maybe I could put some stones or gravel on top of it, and buy some cheap little fake coral or something? Also, do you have to let the tank cycle like my main tank? Like can I buy a fish and put it in the QT while I wait for my main to to finish cycling?

Go to a pet store and grab a simple hang on power filter or sponge filter. Before you get ready to quarantine something, put the sponge from the QT filter in the main tank for a few weeks so it can colonize bacteria. Once it is ready do a water change and put the discard water into QT with then conditioned filter sponge. At this point buy your livestock and acclimate it to the QT. Let it go for 6 to 8 weeks (it really does feel like forever until you get an Ich outbreak) and then re-acclimate the livestock to the new tank. Once done clean everything with bleach and put the sponge filter back in the main tank filtration to prepare it for the next QT or hospitalization. Remember to check the QT water every day and change it as needed.

IMO 6-8 weeks is a bit excessive for a quarantine... everything i have read has been from 2-4 weeks. i usually go for 4 weeks.

~mike

6-8 weeks if your fallowing a tank due to an introduced infestation and 4 (min) upto 6 weeks for QTing new arrivals is best. You need to take into account the varying life cycles of the many parasites possible, 2 weeks is not nearly enough.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom