Quarintine Tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audiosolstice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i found a article on here about a qt but i have questions....sponge filter? a certain model or brand? i know a air pump stone is....the pvc pipe....now for the salt water do i make new sw or use some from my tank. another thing i have a bakpak 2 and it looks pretty difficult to stick my qt tank filter in my bio filter section how i resoulve that problem?

thanks case

Some answers:

Sponge filter:
no particluar model or brand. It is one of the cheapest filters you can buy. If you go to any LFS and just ask for a sponge filter, they should have it. Costs typically around US$10.

PVC Pipe:
Ideal because it is chemically inert. Use a section of 2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe available from any hardware or home improvement store. Cut a couple of 6" sections with a hacksaw or any fine tooth saw. Clean well and you are ready to go.

Fresh vs. tank water:
IMHO, I would use fresh saltwater versus from your tank. I tried that route but ended up adding water that was too nutrient rich to my QT. Remember in the QT you do not have the bio-filtering capability of your main tank. Opinions on this will vary.

Seeding your filter:
You can just place a spare sponge filter (tie it to a piece of rock or something to keep it from floating away) in your main tank. As long as it is exposed to your main tank water, it will culture the bacteia.

HTH. Good luck. 8)

Back
Top Bottom