Queen Conch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
An experience to share, and a question.

First, these guys rock at getting rid of cyanobacteria! They munch any small area that comes up on my sandbed, particularly in the back corner of the tank. These are 2 bad pictures, but you get the point, and they are so comical to watch! I was sorta apprehnsive about getting them in the first place because I heard they were sometimes senstive and were easily predated by hermits. I love them and I reccomend anyone that has cyano problems and wants to add a diverse cleaner to their tank should look into the queen conch.

img_808538_0_b2f58a9070f3e44c0fada0eeac5ca808.jpg

img_808538_1_b8c876a8379e17efe97f436dcdafb89b.jpg

Second, I heard these were perfect for aquariums then just this morning I was browing the ORA website and it says they can grow up to 12 inches long. 8O

Is that true, even in aquariums?

Thanks. :)

Are queen conch's simliar in the size aspect to a tiger conch? My lfs has a tiger in and I was skeptical about picking it up due to their growth. Cool looking animals though...

Queens do become large in the wild. They are the type of conch that you eat at a resturant. I caught a pink shelled red footed conch the other day about a inch long does great in my sandbed. Dont know what type it is.

I have a queen in my 55 but I may have to move it if it gets too big. The tigers don't get as big. As for hermits, I saw my hermit try to get the conch and you would be surprised on how far they can "jump". Mine spends most if the time under the sand.

Wouldn't it be funny if the conch was my main need for a larger tank?

"But, it can barely crawl anymore it's so big" hehehe.

Thanks everyone, now I know.

Oh and Scott, I saw mine jump for the first time last night when as astrea decided to crawl over it. Big mistake for the astrea, haha.

LOL! Yeah, they have a very sharp "foot". I actually saw mine hanging on the glass one morning.

I have a queen conch that I absolutely love. We've had her for about 4 months and she has grown about an inch. I think. The new growth on her shell is about an inch out from the older so I'll assume. I can't tell that she's gotten any bigger, but thats just because I look at her every day :). Over all she is probably about 4 inches. She will definitely be the reason that I upgrade to a larger tank.

We did at one point have a large electric blue hermit & the first night that we put "Queenie" in the tank, he did try to attack her & take her shell, but with the jumping & the slime, the hermit wasn't successful. But it really did scare the daylights out of me. Needless to say, no more hermit.

I absolutely love having a queen conch. I don't think I would recommend her to anyone that doesn't have a large tank, but other than that, she's everything that I could expect from a snail. My sand is gorgeous now that she is in the tank, and she will even eat off of the rocks sometimes. Best of luck with yours, hope that gives you a little more insight!

chizzle, thanks for the story. I can definiltey identify! I love my queens. I have a 45 gallon and so far the conchs are still small (~ 1"). I hope they'll be good in there for atleast 1-2 years. I don't suppose anyone know their growth rate do they? :)

When I first got mine, she was on the "larger" side already, about 3 inches or so. So she has grown about an inch in four months. Maybe a little more. I'll try posting a picture tomorrow, because you can really see the growth in her shell. It's a little more brown than the rest.

But as long as the water conditions are right & there is plenty of food, I would definitely say they are fast growers. Other than what she finds in the sand & rock, we do occasionally through in a nori sheet for her. Sometimes our other inverts find their way to it, but she will sometimes eat an entire sheet by herself. Maybe its over kill but I couldn't really find any info for people keeping them in aquariums. HTH!

Squado said:
Are queen conch's simliar in the size aspect to a tiger conch? My lfs has a tiger in and I was skeptical about picking it up due to their growth. Cool looking animals though...
Tiger conchs only grow to about 3-4", so they are smaller than queen conchs. I have a tiger conch, and it does a great job at keeping the sand bed stirred and clean due to it's behavior of burying itself and feeding habits. I've yet to see it leave the sand. It's a model citizen, I really like them. HTH

Thanks chizzle, I'd love to see a picture(s).

Mike, thanks. Mine go occasionally on the rocks and I found one of mine stuck in a colony of GSP, haha. But I agree, model citizens, they rock.

Back
Top Bottom