Question about calcium/coralline algae in nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
My brother currently has a nano tank and was wondering if it is possible to shoot the calcium/strontium levels through the roof to produce a larger quicker mass of coralline algae. He was going to let me have his corals and clownfish while this process took place. Once the tank has the coralline he was then going to do pwc's to get the level down to normal. Is that possible or would it affect the tank afterwards? TIA........

I would not try as this can cause a precip or a snow storm , it can also cause other levels to falter , The best way is to keep calcium at 425-475 (some keep it higher depending on corals ) coraline does best with medium light IME the best bet is to get coraline chips off a rock or add a bit of rock with alot on it as it will spread , shooting it up will affect other perameters as well .I doubt this will accelerate the coraline but will cause other problems ...HTH

That is a bad idea. I would not do this at all.

Also each tank is different and calcium level requirements will vary so recommending any range (IMO) for all tanks isn't really ideal. I have 150g tank and my corals grow great with calcium around 375. You have to maintain a balance in parameters, especially between Calcium, alkalinity, and PH. Raising one too quickly can make the other two drop just as quick. Also is he raising the calcium with additives or a reactor?

Well his basic idea was to add higher doses of purple up that he has. I was just assuming about the calcium and other additives that it contains. He has some coralline growing right now but was just wondering about speeding up the process.

There really is not a good method to "speed" it up .. Purple up contains other things as well . If he does this he is asking for trouble IMHHO . I would just wait it out till it grows if he has some it will spread.

Back
Top Bottom