Question about Feather Duster....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my feather duster for about 6 months now. Today I noticed something on one of my rocks that look like a mini duster. Anyone know how FD's reproduce?

Reproduction

Feather duster worms reproduce both sexually and asexually. Sexual reproduction involves the release of gametes into the water where the fertilized eggs develop into free-swimming larvae that eventually settle in an appropriate habitat. In the case of Serpulids, they settle on corals and the coral grows around the calcareous tube they build, making asexual reproduction nearly an impossibility for them. Soft tube varieties reproduce sexually, but many form dense colonies of clones by a budding process called scissipary. In this process the posterior end of the worm breaks off and develops a new crown while the "parent" grows a new posterior.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reproduction

Feather duster worms reproduce both sexually and asexually. Sexual reproduction involves the release of gametes into the water where the fertilized eggs develop into free-swimming larvae that eventually settle in an appropriate habitat. In the case of Serpulids, they settle on corals and the coral grows around the calcareous tube they build, making asexual reproduction nearly an impossibility for them. Soft tube varieties reproduce sexually, but many form dense colonies of clones by a budding process called scissipary. In this process the posterior end of the worm breaks off and develops a new crown while the "parent" grows a new posterior.

Wow!thanks MS705jk :) I am thinking it may be the later part the budding process. I only have the one feather Duster and when I was looking on the rock you can see a small calcerous tube that it is sticking out of.

You got it buddy. I just did some quick reading and copy and pasted the article that made the most sense. Ive been looking as t a few fd but I've got a lead on some sick zoas that I need to scoop up first

You got it buddy. I just did some quick reading and copy and pasted the article that made the most sense. Ive been looking as t a few fd but I've got a lead on some sick zoas that I need to scoop up first

Sick Zoa's. I hope all goes good. Keep posted on them(y)

I'm actually putting some elevators in about 5 away from the store. But I live about 40 miles north

Back
Top Bottom