Question about filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ert0721

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently cycling a 45 gallon reef tank. I have a hob protein skimmer, 65 gph hob filter, and 2 canister filters. I need to know if I have too much filtration, or if I can take some filtration away. And if so, which filters.

There are many different answers to your question. For instance you don't have to run any mechanic filtration on a tank that size. How much live rock do you have? I am no expert on canister filters but if it was me I wouldn't use any, just my opinion...

The cans will need to be cleaned weekly in order to keep trAtes down. 3-5 lbs live rock can replace each canister and your CUC can clean them Dont remove the cans until you have enough rock 1-2 lbs per gallon.

Ditch the 2 canister filters and the HOB and buy a good skimmer and live rock. Those filters will become nitrate factories unless cleaned weekly

There are many different answers to your question. For instance you don't have to run any mechanic filtration on a tank that size. How much live rock do you have? I am no expert on canister filters but if it was me I wouldn't use any, just my opinion...

I have 60 pounds of live rock and 35 pounds of live sand. So should I just stick with my hob filter instead and ditch both canisters?

I am not a fan hob filter and canister, but some people say they had success with them. I would just hang the hob filter as needed for up to 24hrs when visible stuff are suspended in the water (mechanical filtration). Then do water change for better mechanical filtration. You can stick GFO and/or carbon for chemical filtration. Then your rocks provide all the biological filtration.

One of the problems with canister filters and hob is that different media need different flow. GFO has to tumble, carbon can't. Reactors are more efficient

Back
Top Bottom