Question about foundations - 300 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbry21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a villa and just got a good deal on an acrylic 300 gallon tank. The tank is 8 ft long, 2 feet wide and 36 inches tall.

I'm guessing the filled tank and stand will be around 3100lbs.

Do I need to build up my foundation or spread the load over more of the floor? It's going basically 6 feet from the outside wall of the house being that it's going to be placed along a living room wall.

Help

If it was me, and I have been accused of over engineering things, here is what I would do. Make sure the tank is sitting perpendicular to the floor joists. Double each joist that will be under the tank. Get an 8' 4x4 and three metal house jacks at Home Depot/Lowes. Position the 4x4 directly under where the tank will sit and about center. Put the three house jacks on 4" cap blocks and run them up snug against the 4x4. Overkill? Maybe, but better safe than sorry. JMHO.

loganj said:
If it was me, and I have been accused of over engineering things, here is what I would do. Make sure the tank is sitting perpendicular to the floor joists. Double each joist that will be under the tank. Get an 8' 4x4 and three metal house jacks at Home Depot/Lowes. Position the 4x4 directly under where the tank will sit and about center. Put the three house jacks on 4" cap blocks and run them up snug against the 4x4. Overkill? Maybe, but better safe than sorry. JMHO.

My foundation is concrete and this is on the 1st floor. Your comment was in regards to a 2nd floor install correct?

If your foundation is concrete you should be able to put the tank anywhere on the first floor with no problems.

that sounds awful dangerous to me

is your foundation concrete, or your subfloor?

if your subfloor is concrete, then you are OK with about 5 to 8000 lbs anywhere you want it, depending on slab thickness, rebar / remesh, and the type of cement used.

if your foundation is concrete with wood 2x6 or 2x8 joists supporting a plywood subfloor overtop a crawlspace or something, then you deffinately will want to double check positioning of the tank, and go with renforcements like logan has suggested. A general contractor or structural engineer would be able to sell you how much reinforcement you need... logan's sounds "excessive" but always good to err on the side of caution!

Carpet has been pulled up in the past and the floor is concrete. So I assume I'm safe.

Thanks for everyones feedback,
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom