Question about lighting .... bulb replacement!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the 2x65watt Current USA PC setup over my 29 gallon. I love these lights and everything in my tank is doing well.

My problem is ... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the look of the Actinics more than the 10K white.

I was thinking of replacing the bulbs (when it's time) with 50/50's ...... would this be adviseable and how would the corals react to this. My LFS runs a setup with just 50/50's and the lighting looks more along the blue/purple spectrum than a regular setup and their corals seem to be doing fine.

I don't know why but the blueish tint over everything is more appealing to the eye than the bright white. I'm not in this just for the looks so I want to make sure everything would be healthy as well if I did make the change.

Thanks,
JermZ

I run the blue and 50/50 on my VHO. Been doing so for nine years.

img_656373_0_016712bb88bbce1e086afe25936470c3.jpg

Mine kind of has that blueish tint. Pic is a bit darker because of camera sports mode.

I believe i read somewhere that actinic light is better for the corals than the white light. I prefer the bright white light myself, as I run 4 X 65wat 10K white and 2 x 80wat T5 actinic, and my corals seem fine. My tank looks bright white, only when you turn the actinics off do you notice what they contribute.

I have seen setups with MH bulbs that were that actinic blue, much easier on the eyes, and the corals were doing awesome. That tank was growing SPS under the blue light.

I believe that the corals do better with at least some actinic lighting, but how much is up to you. I think switching over to 50/50 would be fine for your tank, if that's what you want.

Yes!!! Thats what I wanted to hear!!

I was thinking to myself if the 50/50 bulbs are 65watt and the 10K bulbs are 65watt then either way I'm still getting 65watts of lighting!

Melosu ... that is exactly the look I love. That blueish//purple tint makes the tank look so nice.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom