Question about quarentine tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkbate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading alot about this new hobby of mine and it seems as though I should be setting up a quarentine tank as well as my main tank. So my question is what has everyone else done? Do you have it set up all the time with no fish? If it is set up all the time do you have stuff in it? Do you just set it up when you need it and tear it down after? What size is a good size? Thats all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken

I have a 10gal that I use for mine. It is empty until I need it. When I need to use it, I speed up the cycle with dirty filter floss from one of my other tanks. It has a darkened bottom, but I use no substrate for easier cleanup. I have one cave-like decoration and some plastic plants in case the fish need somewhere to hide while they acclimate.

I also use a 10G tank as a quarantine but I leave mine up all the time it is fully cycled and has a prizm skimmer running on it. no substrate and a few pieces of pvc piping. The quaretine is worth its weight in gold due to you not knowing what diseases the fish does or does not have when picking him up from the LFS. It's never fun to bring a fish home acclimate him to the main and dump him in to find out he had ich and now you have to pull all the fish. Many have experienced that before.

Back
Top Bottom