Question about stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 150G tank I recently lost my Two-Spot Goby, who was the only sand-sifting fish in the tank. I'm worried that since there's no sand-sifting fish in the tank, it could cause some problems down the road. There's a cave goby in there but he just kicks up sand in certain places. Do you think it's necessary to add another sand-sifter back into the tank?

If so, I'm trying to think of a good fish for the job. The tank is now stocked and there are some fish that can be aggressive: some damsels, a tang, and there's that cave goby also. I wouldn't want a new fish to get beat up on. I was thinking about a larger Diamond Watchman Goby or something like that, but I'm worried it would have too many problems with the cave goby since the look a lot alike.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance for the help.

The bullet goby is the best in the business.

bulletgoby.jpg

Hey mike question about that Bullet Goby. I saw one of those guys for the first time the other day and was interested in him however the shop didnt know too much about him. How is he with other fish? I dont have any other goby in my tank just my scooter and manderin. Would he be a good adition for sifting the sand around?

Also just did some more research and it says with any sand sifters you need to have a stable rock system because they will sometimes make your rockwork collapse. Any experience with this? Ive got about a 3inch deep sandbed. My rocks are stacked against the back to open up a lot of swimming room in the front. They are not however glued together or anything. Will these dudes do more damage then good to me?

When I aquascaped this tank, I made the sand the last thing to go into the tank, that way I know it's stable and it doesn't have to rely on the sand. Especially if you have a glass tank this is something to keep in mind, because one rockslide could chip the tank and if you aren't home to do anything about it, you've got a wet room and dry fish.

They are very peaceful and as I said they are IMO the best when it comes to sifting. I`ve had two in twelve yrs now and never had any problem with rock moving or falling. They are a good addition to the SW tank.

My diamond watchman was a sifting beast, never took more then a second off. Very peculiar little fish, he used to carry around hermits and snails that ventured into his den, and would spit them out when he was done parading them around.

I had a diamond watchman once, I really like those guys, but I worry that since they look just like the cave goby, that the cave goby I already have would be too aggressive.

We'll see if I can find a bullet goby, do you think there would be any compatibility issues here?

Well I'm sort of worried about the new addition getting bullied, do you think that would be an issue for a diamond watchman or a bullet goby?

Back
Top Bottom