Question About Sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I am planning on setting up a SW tank in the next couple of moths(have to move first). My brother is trying to convince me to use a sump or fuge. Here is my concern. If I am using a syphon to pull water out of my tank and into the sump and a return pump to pump it to the tank how do I prevent the syphon from flooding my floor if the pump fails? Is is just a matter of sizing the sump larger enough to accommodate the water until the water level in the main tank is below the output tube?

Thansk for the help.

Try this link below. It was included by another AA member on a previous post.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

You would need an overflow box. If the return pump cuts off the level of water in the tank will no longer rise and the overflow box would stop. You just need enough space in the sump/fuge for what is in the return line to drain back down. Most flooding is because of back siphoning from the return tube. This can be easily stopped with a small hole in the top of the return tube

Juster, I use a wet/dry for my fw (converting to sw this weekend, very excited) and yes, your conclusion is correct. Your siphon pickup at the tank is just barely below the waterline. If your pump fails, your siphon will soon strarve and break off.

Problem is, as with mine, the sump starts out with a good amnount of water to begin with. So, if my pump failed, I'd get some spill but it would be minimal. To eliminate this spill all together (at least for me), you could (I should) fab a catch tray with a 1"-2" lip on it, the full perimeter of your stand, so it fits inside like a floor with a lip. Then, whatever your sump can't hold, your tray will. HTH.

What happens when the power kicks back on and the syphon isn't started? What are you using to prevent emptying the sump and overflowing THERE? I was thinking about trying to install a float switch in the tank that would turn off the return if it hit the switch.

The overflow box should stop supply but still keep water in the supply tube. The overflow box is designed to keep water from flowing into the sump/fuge when the return pump fails. As stated previously you need to worry about is what will drain back from your return tube from back siphoning(drill a hole at top or put in a one way valve). Just leave enough space in the sump/fuge for the small amount from the supply and return tubes and you wont have any problems. A spill should not be any problem.

Good point RMPD. I neglected to mention the back siphoning. I've had spills during tank maintainance because of that oversight. definitely take RMPD's advice.

Question from Phyl: When the power comes back on, the excess fill from the sump should be roughly equal to the excess removal when it shut down. I.e. the extra siphoned out lowered the water line enough to be pumped back in without any spill. Another bit of buffer; you likely have 1"-2" from the absolute top anyhow. That holds a lot of water.

Sumps don't normally cause sound. It is the drain from the tank to the sump that most people try to quiet. There are things in the sump that sometimes cause a running water sound but you can fix those. The overflow, if not done right can be a big sucking sound. Most people use a Durso or Stockman standpipe to fix this.

Back
Top Bottom