Question about Triggers in reefs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apollo1K9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone!

I've been reading around retail sites and have been getting mixed reviews on which trigger is the nearest to "reef safe." I know that no matter what, they'll eventually eat your CUC.

So, we are basically looking for a few criteria here:

• Will eat the least of my CUC (only snails/hermits vs shrimp and larger crabs - if this exists)
  • Least aggressive
  • Will not nip at corals
I've heard Crosshatch, Blue Jaw/Throat, and Nigers specifically as being the "best." I'd like an above-all, best option if this is possible. Crosshatch is definitely out of my price range, so if that one is the best, give me a number two. I love the way triggers swim, but I want to do reefs, so I want to see what I have to work with if I want to stay with a reef. I'll eventually do an aggressive FOWLR tank with a Humu Humu/Picasso Trigger, but that is much further down the road.

P.S.: My current tank size does not matter here, this is for future reference.

Thanks!

My opinion is to not put on in a reef tank. The three you listed I have seen in reef tanks but they have all caused issues in the reef. I suggest sticking with reef safe fish and not putting a trigger in the tank.

Just my opinion.

From what I`ve heard they wont mess with your corals but they will take out your CUC which is very important in a reef tank. That`s the reason I would not put one in a reef.

CUC aside, i would probably be more concerned with the aggression in triggers. Even the least aggressive trigger can still be really nasty. Most of the other fish you would put in a reef are going to be, in general, smaller and more peaceful. I think the real issue would be trying to keep other fish in your reef with that trigger. It would most likely kill a good portion of them.

Alright thanks guys, that just confirms what the little voice in the back of my mind was telling me. Just needed a final nail in the coffin! The triggers shall have to wait, oh well. :)

I was considering one of these....
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productdetail.asp?cid=288&pid=910&did=1
Awesome looking Trigger. I know people who have had great success with them in a reef tank. With that said, of course there is always exceptions. Even with Tangs its possible to get one that is not reef safe.
If I end up getting a Trigger some day, this will definitely be the one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom