Question on Acrylic Tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know where I can get a good price on a Acrylic reef ready tank in the North East area? I am thinking of upgrading to a 120-140 in the near future but I would like to find the best price possible in my area as I am still a full time student.

Ya I wouldn't get a 120 for 1300 there (just the tank) when brand new acrylic 190s are going for about 900 on ebay. They are reef ready too.

Well the tank i bought included stand, canopy sump all fittings, pump, lighting hood, VHO lights ballast blah, blah. All told around 3k :)

I got a custom tank from them, to my specifications, shipped to my house for $1600. It was pricey, but the service was great, and I got a beautiful tank. I probably could have gotten it cheaper, but I got peace of mind dealing with an established and well known company. Good luck with it.

1600 for what size and was that the stand and canopy? It isn't that I can't justify the price it is just that I am still in college and paying my way just to live with a PT job. I am trying to think of the future ya know? I have a 55 AGA and upkeep is fine... I can afford what I need to run it but obviously spending $3000 at once is a bit much for me. I do only have two years left so if I don't have the complete system by then it isn't a huge deal but the bug bit me ya know? I feel the limitations of my setup obviously but I also don't want to buy something because it is cheap either and not be happy with it in a year or so. I figure a descent acrylic tank would suit me fine for years to come. Maybe on the other hand I shouldn't get too into it either because I won't be in my apartment for more than 2 yrs more. That basically gives me two years to piece my system together.

i've bought from tenecor before and the service was great and the product they delivered (stand, tank, canopy, filtration) was in perfect shape. they are a top notch company and well worth the extra cash you might end up spending...

ebay is a tough call. i used to buy stuff all the time. some pet related, some regarding my other hobbies. i got smoked more often on ebay than i have dealing with all my other companies put together...

My custom tank was 66 inches wide, 33 inches tall and 20 inches deep with a center overfow. Total volume approx 188 gallons. I didn't mind spending extra because this tank was going into a spot in my living room that I will have for...well, my mortgage is for 25 more years. It fits the spot perfectly. So I am going to have this thing till it breaks. Acrylic is not cheap, and the larger you get, the more it is. I agree with wright4lfe, ebay is risky.

Ya the ebay links that I would concern myself with are ones from actual businesses not just joe shmoe who doesn't want his tank anymore. I wouldn't buy a used acrylic tank unless it was perfect.

FWIW You know, I would spend the next two years doing just what you said, piece the system together, because it will be a royal pain to break down and relocate. so little by little, get the basics, like the tank you like and maybe the stand and canopy. I would hold off on the pumps, etc until you are ready to set up. Two years down the road, there may be different things available you may want to use, but the basic tank and stand will not change. HTH 8)

Back
Top Bottom