question on info i cant find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qb6fire

Aquarium Advice Freak
today my GF was looking at my tank and remembered the sand dollar we found on the beach one night and asked if we would be able to have one in our tank...

would it be possible?

if so any help would be great if not tough luck for her haha:hide:

You probably could, but you'd never see it if it was healthy. Living sand dollars burrow into the sand and mud. I belevie they eat dmicrofauna and I imagine it would take a good bit of it to sustain them. If you're wanting to use the dried animal as a decoration inside the aquarium, bleach it, then soak in freshwater and add dechlorinator.

Ok thank you very much might add as decor does that process aply to any decor?

Only if it's from the ocean or was once living. Anything man made or store bought can probably just be rinsed.

Thank you... any idea were i can get an anchor with chain?

Sure...but no metal should ever be exposed to the saltwater, so you would need a plastic one for display. I assume you want it in your tank...

Yes i was looking for a plastic one and plastic chain to give the illusion of a chain hanging from the top of the tank

I'm not sure what it's called, But there is some kin of coating you can put over metal to make it tank safe. You'll have to do some research to figure out what it is though

And you could probably find one on some kind of aquarium decor website

I know there are coatings that are suppose to make metal safe, but I don't trust them over a long term not to leak. Lego makes some small plastic anchors for its Bucaneer series and finding plastic chain shouldn't be that hard. But I don't think I would risk my reef with a metal one.

I wont use metal only plastic :) and legos are easy to find too as i live next door to disneyland

Sorry, just an idea :/ you're probably right about keeping on the safe side though

qb6fire said:
Kinda my plan haha would the coraline weigh it down

Not too sure. We use plastic chains in seahorse tanks so they have something to grab a hold of. There's not really any coralline in those tanks

Back
Top Bottom