Question on new build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rugger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay I have got a 30 gallon. Have a Ehiem 3 stage filter a cpr pak bak protien skimmer about 60 lbs rock ( 12 of it live fiji) Cycled it now almost 4 weeks all my water parms are right. Want to make it a reef/fish but want to start slow so to cut any losses to a min. Please a few suggestions on corals/fish to start please. Also was thinking about building a refuge would I need one with a 30 gallon tank?

You wouldn't need a refugium, but it cannot hurt - only benefit.

How about a pair of clowns :)

Chromis are in the same family as damsels but are generally pretty mellow. I believe clownfish are in the damsel family too, and can be quite agressive (maroon) but generally aren't.

A school does look nice, but they end up picking each other off. I've tried to keep 3 for a while but after losing 1 i bought another 1 and lost that one too. Mine seem to want two only.

scottayy said:
Chromis are in the same family as damsels but are generally pretty mellow. I believe clownfish are in the damsel family too, and can be quite agressive (maroon) but generally aren't.

A school does look nice, but they end up picking each other off. I've tried to keep 3 for a while but after losing 1 i bought another 1 and lost that one too. Mine seem to want two only.

With a school you need 4 or more just to distribute the stress that they cause to each other.... Question I have a hummingbird damsel would I be able to put a maroon clown in with it

DoIt4Fun said:
With a school you need 4 or more just to distribute the stress that they cause to each other.... Question I have a hummingbird damsel would I be able to put a maroon clown in with it

I just got a 3rd chromis for my tank, it seemed that's what was needed to get the other two to come out of hiding ,my Clarkie was a bit of a bully and now I thin with a 3rd they feel safe

+1 on 3 chromis. 4 isn't a must. Though IME an odd # of chromis in a school tend to do better.

I love a school of chromis. But they do pick at each other and die off over time.

My bad luck is that they go blind and starve to death. I had 5 now left with 1. Even he is half blind. :(

I starteed with 5 blue reef chromis and now I have 3. One jumped and one just disappeared. The three I have left all hang out together usually and swim together. :-D

Yeah mine chromis pick at each other , but not overly aggressive , more in a " three stooges " sort of way , if one get picked on he takes it out on the 3rd :)

Back
Top Bottom