Question with parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefScrub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello fellow reefers. I have a moderately stocked mixed reef tank and just got into testing my parameters more often. I'm understanding the magnesium to calcium ratio of 3-1 but I have some issues with my parameters and need some advice to maintain the healthiest of tanks. Please advise me on what I may need to dose or change...
Temp 79.4 F
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .25 ppm
Calcium 500 ppm (high!!)
Alkalinity 10.5 dKH
Magnesium 1320

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh I do dose Kalk 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of top off water

pH was getting low, winter up here in Michigan and Sump is in the basement which was why I started dosing Kalk with my ato.

There is a huge problem right there, using kalk to raise pH. You are throwing your parameters out of whack by using a product that will change your alkalinity. The pH change is just a side effect.
Either way, pH being affected by the winter months isn't a problem. This isn't a 'number' that is meant to be the same all the time, it even changes as the day goes on. If you are concerned about pH due to elevated CO2 in the house because no windows are open, look at a more natural way of CO2 exchange. Look at pointing a powerhead at the surface for more oxygen or even put a skimmer air hose out a window.
Might not be options, but better than dosing for pH as it always leads to larger issues. That said, my reef tank is years old at this point and is just as shut in due to my PA winters. I've never tried to address the pH and there are no issues.

Thanks for the advice sniper, I'll discontinue using Kalk. Buddy of mine who's a long time reefer told me awhile back to use Kalk in my top off and I just started doing it. I knew it raised alkalinity, but doesn't that usually force calcium to drop? As you can see my calcium is pretty high

It should, but both are managed by your magnesium level. If that is screwed up then it won't manage quite right either.
Either way, they can be easily managed by weekly water changes most of the time. It takes a ton to pull so much out of the water column to need to dose.

Back
Top Bottom