Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, nope not two fixture if they are 6 foot each. If you get a smaller length light, then yeah you would need two 36" fixtures. I don't know offhand of any 16 bulb t5 fixtures.

I don't really dose anything just yet. I have started to mess with the alkalinity a bit with a buffer and have some soda ash to continue. My calcium levels and magnesium are just right but the alk is a bit low. I've dropped my water change schedule to every other week now so I think that has something to do with it. If I went back to weekly I bet I wouldn't need to dose yet. I'm still testing daily to find the right "dose" to add for alk.

And yeah, thats a good price. When I got mine and checked online it was over $700 almost $800 in fact. I got mine from craigslist for $300. :)

I would definitely go as big as you can fit! The bigger the tank the less frequent the water changes have to be! Also, the bigger the sump, fuge or hopefully both the more stable the whole thing would be! If it were me I would get it drilled and properly set up in the first place, hang on overflows are a point of failure you really want to avoid if you can!

With your water changes, you could do the plumbing in a way that with the turn of a ball valve you'll drop 20% directly into the drain, no buckets required.

Plan it carefully and go slowly, that gives you the peace of mind that you won't have to upgrade or re-build in a year

lol, nope not two fixture if they are 6 foot each. If you get a smaller length light, then yeah you would need two 36" fixtures. I don't know offhand of any 16 bulb t5 fixtures.

I don't really dose anything just yet. I have started to mess with the alkalinity a bit with a buffer and have some soda ash to continue. My calcium levels and magnesium are just right but the alk is a bit low. I've dropped my water change schedule to every other week now so I think that has something to do with it. If I went back to weekly I bet I wouldn't need to dose yet. I'm still testing daily to find the right "dose" to add for alk.

And yeah, thats a good price. When I got mine and checked online it was over $700 almost $800 in fact. I got mine from craigslist for $300. :)

Awesome! So, this would be all I need for my lighting, right?

That's a good price, I will check on CL too, and see if I can't find anything.

In my opinion that setup would be fine. I'll let mr.x chime in if he's around. :) He;s my lighting hero lol

I'll check around some and see if I can't find it even cheaper.

In my opinion that setup would be fine. I'll let mr.x chime in if he's around. :) He;s my lighting hero lol

I'll check around some and see if I can't find it even cheaper.

Ok, thanks for al of your help!

Her's another bit more expensive option. it has moonlights. :) And is a 12 bulb system the same as the nova extreme

AquaticLife T5 HO 6-Lamp Light Fixture w/ Lunar LEDs

Great! I love moonlights! It is so cool to watch a tank at night! I think when I upgrade my tank, I will pay the extra to get the moonlights. For me it is worth it because I would like to look at my tank at night!:)

Yeah thats one thing that stinks about the nova, no moonlights. :-( I'll get around to adding something one day, I would love to watch the fish and stuff at night. i use a flashlight now and its not very subtle

Yeah, I have used a flashlight before. What is even worse is when the tank is dark and I am taking a picture of my tank using the AA app, and forget to turn the flash off. Then a bright white LED flash flashes in my poor fishes' face.

So, I am already starting to think about what fish I want in this tank!:) I know it is a little early, but why not!.
Here is just a rough list of some fish I was looking at

1.Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Tang - Hawaii
2.Scopas Tang
3.Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sailfin Tang, Desjardini, either this one or this one....Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sailfin Tang
4.Blue Hippo (Already have it)
5.Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
6.Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Scott's Fairy Wrasse - Reef Safe
7http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+2648&pcatid=2648
8.Labout's Fairy Wrasse
9.Filamentos Fairy Wrasse
10.Blue Flasher Wrasse

I know this is probably too many male wrasses, but I would be willing to cut off some of the male ones and put some females instead.:) I just don't know what they look like, how many to add etc. Also, does anybody know how many male wrasses I can keep in a 180g?

11.Squareback Anthias

A school of these would be nice. I probably can't keep all of these fish, but they are just ideas. :-D

I will also listen to suggestions if you have any.

Also, maybe, maybe, as a last fish for this tank I would add a Mandarin.

I would not upgrade to a 180g. I said the same thing but then I wanted a shark so I said a 240g would be better. It also adds so many more fish possibilities. Look at what fish/how many fish you want then base your tank size on that.

I'm not sure I want to go bigger than a 180g. It just means the equipment gets more expensive.:(

What do you two think on the stocklist? Especially the Wrasses. I like them so much, but I don't know how many males I can have. How many females or each species would you recommend if I decide to add some? Thanks!

By far my favorite is the volian lionfish, but ill be the first to admit they aren't for everyone. I have become a fan of the tangs lately, especially the powder brown and powder blue tangs. But im not that great with matching up fish with reef systems, seeing as how my first and only sw tank so far has been fowlr

Back
Top Bottom