Quick fix needed for water evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schrickl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I've got a 3 week old reef 75 gallon reef aquarium going and the water level is low causing my filter to blow air. Is there a quick fix until the aquarium shop opens tomorrow and I can get some salt water? Ok to leave the filter off over night?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

well do you have some freah water to add to get the water level up? you want to add freshwater to replace the water that has evaporated.

Though I am far from an expert, I have heard that that will work thought it is darn pricey. I assume that you are talking about the huge water cooler jugs and not the litlle water bottles, cause that would be just a waste of money (IMO).

We use the large water cooler bottles to keep the levels up on our tank. I would just make sure that if you need to add a lot of it, that you check the specific gravity, and if it is low add some salt (has to be aquarium salt definately not table salt).

Hope that that helps and holds you over until you can get to the petstore.

well i make my own i detox it and add it to the water or if i get to the lfs i buy some ro/di water and add that. just make sure you sq dose not take a big hit when you add it. you can really only move your sq up or down .001 a day without harming stuff.

As long as your tank has power heads in it to move the water around, it will be fine untill tomorrow (provided the salinity isnt too high.) Just turn the pump off untill you can get to the LFS today. Its not uncommon at all for my sump to evaporate enough off in one day that the power head will create a whirl pool and suck in air. I just throw the switch, leave the power heads running, and refill it the next morning.

You can run a tank w/ LR, LS, power heads, and a skimmer. Its called a Berlin system. I ran one for years w/ no problems.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom