Quick question about different waters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
While holding a couple of corals, some inverts, and fish is there really a big difference between the quality of mixing your own salt water or buying premade saltwater? The company I am asking about is Catalina Water company.

Hmmm, I can't help you on packaged water. My guess would be the pH might be low and I would test it and heat it before adding it to the tank. I found pre-mixing my salt water for 24-48 hours before hand gives me a chance to monitor salinity/temp/pH and to let the funk settle. To be honest, I kinda like doing it....LOL!!

I just re-read your question.....About holding corals and inverts. I would test the temp and pH. Then, for the inverts, you will have to acclimate them from the packaged water to your tank's water parameters.

i think its all a matter of the quality of water that you are dealing with. for example, if you make your own water, are you using tap, bottled water, ro/di water... after answering that, how is that quality (water parameters?) i found that using the lfs water, here, wasnt far from the tap in my apt and i had to buy premade "ocean" water from petco, and it was far better, although FAR more expensive ($10 for 5 gal, OUCH). it also depends on the acclimation process...... hth

the key is testing i spose......

My waters parameters as of right now are: Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, nitrate = 5, ph 8.2, calcium = 500, dkh = 13. The water that I was reffering to is the "ocean" water from petco. The petco near me has the water for $6 for 5 gallons though I would give it a try, what do you think about it?

depends where they get it from the ocean. the shoreline i wouldnt touch but if it was from in the ocean about 1mile out then yes i would buy it.

Just a question.....why don't you mix your own?

Squado said:
My waters parameters as of right now are: Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, nitrate = 5, ph 8.2, calcium = 500, dkh = 13. The water that I was reffering to is the "ocean" water from petco. The petco near me has the water for $6 for 5 gallons though I would give it a try, what do you think about it?

i used it for awhile, it was good stuff, i would still use it if it wasnt so expensive..... now i just make my own...

If you total up salt mix cost, RO/DI unit, powerhead, heater and a 30g trashcan..
well let's just say the initial expense is faaaaaaaaaaar cheaper then buying your water from any place..

I have been mixing my own, I was just wondering what was more benefecial for the tank. Anyway, what should the parameters be for R/O water anyway. I got some today and was just wondering if what they sold me was actually real or not?

Back
Top Bottom