quikrete playsand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milmokes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some quikrete playsand from home depot. How can I tell if this is safe for my fish tank? It was only $3 for a 50lbs. bag.

If it's playsand it will be ok.... it just won't buffer like argonite... I've got silica playsand in my tank and have had no issues...

If it's not pure white than I'd suggest you not use it. Pure Silica sand is fine but it's very white. Most playsand is full of impurities.

Like I said... I haven't had any problems out of mine... just FYI......

milmokes... what part of PA are you at? The Oldcastle/Southdown may become available again in a few months. I got a few bags from the Lower Paxton Home Depot outside of Harrisburg last spring/summer. I think that PA is prime Sand-Hunting grounds when it is in season. ...And there is no bag limit!

milmokes said:
would i need to use a pH buffer?

If you have a large population of corals, snails, or clams you will need to replenish Calcium and Carbonate regardless of what type of sand you use. Aragonite doesn't dissolve much at normal reef conditions so don't let the myth that aragonite buffers influence your choice.

I have heard that the silicate based sand can harme some sand sifter animals. Not sure if it is true just trying to bring up a concern.

Don't be confused between Silicate and Silica. Playsand is Silica based but some of the impurities could be Silicate.

Something like poil filter sand is going to be too rough for sand bed infauna. The smoother the sand grains the better.

Back
Top Bottom