R/O membrane.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey i thought you were supposed to change your membrane every year. Is this not the case? I know you change all the other filters every year but the guy at filter direct is telling me every two years. Is this normal or not.

Thanks

2-3 years depending on your water. Heck I wish I could get a year out of my other filters. Changing them every few months...

I know waht they say. Well lately I have been experiencing brown alge wich is obviously a sign of po4. now i have not replaced any cartridges in the ro at all and i have had it a year. I know they need to be changed just wondering if it is going to be pointless for me to change all those and nothing else.

I would just change the other filters and leave the membrane intact. If it still produces algae, then you can change it out. That is the most expensive part on the RO system, at least on mine.

Mike

IMO running the other filters for a year is way too long. I would think like carbon in your tank over time it will leach the bad stuff back into the water.
Do you have a TDS meter? This should tell you if the ro/di is working right.

i have one on the way. I ordered it today and i think i will be ordering the filters sometime next week. it is 60 including shipping for all the filters exept membrane

PO4 is removed from by the R/O and the DI. Basically it is a negatively charged resin that attracts positively chared ions. Once it's full the heavier molecules are attracted and break off the weaker bonds and they are released into your water. PO4 is a weaker bond. Example: your R/O membrane fills up and the next lead particle comes along and sticks to the resin and knocks off a PO4 molecule. The DI cartrige will also remove anything the R/O membrane left behind. You can have a full R/O membrane and still get a TDS reading of zero with a new DI cartridge. However you will quickly use up your DI and have to replace it often. They are supposed to work as a team. All cartriges should be changed at the same time when the TDS reading begins to climb.

This info per B. Stone, Indiana State Water Board Member and fellow reefer.

HTH,
R-

Good advice but I have to say everyone's water is different. I have to change out the micron/sediment filter after 2-3 months and the carbon around 5 months and the DI depending on what time of year can last 4-8 months. So you will need a TDS meter and watch your filters.
I have clear housings which makes this easy. I can see when the sediment is full and when thats full the carbon after it starts to get dirty.
So IMO changing all filters at the same time is not needed. this has been my experience.

You really should use a TDS meter to detemine if in fact your DI cartridge needs replacing/recharging. Also depending on your R/O system, you should have pre-filters before the water hits the membrane. This would go a far way towards preserving the life of the membrane itself. HTH

Back
Top Bottom