Rabbitfish x Foxface trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey,
I have had a one spot foxface in my Reef tank for a while now, and he's always been a big baby. I went to a fish store earlier today and picked up a rabbitfish (it's either a two bar rabbit or a scribbled rabbit, not sure how to tell the difference). I know you're supposed to keep foxfaces and rabbits singly, but they look different enough I thought it might just be okay. The fox is kind of harassing the rabbit. He just comes up to him, flares, sticks his nose under the rabbit, and occasionally shoves his face at the side of the rabbit.

Anyone know if this will stop? It's not ALL the Fox is doing now, he does other stuff, but he circles back to doing this every few minutes. No intense biting or brawling or anything.

The rabbit did get splotchy at first, but has since regained normal coloration, and has flared back at least 4 times now. What should I do (if anything)?

You can try egg crate to separate the two, so they can see each other but not reach each other if you have room. Hope the store has a return policy just in case.

Update:
As of this morning the rabbit is fine. The fox doesn't seem as interested in bothering him as he was last night. Let's hope he was just playing the assertion game!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can try egg crate to separate the two, so they can see each other but not reach each other if you have room. Hope the store has a return policy just in case.

Also, thanks for the reply. The place I got the rabbit from, Elite Reef in Arvada, CO, has a good return policy.

Either way, if I had to get rid of either of them, it would be the Fox. I've wanted a rabbit much longer than I've wanted a fox.

Fair enough! I saw fox vs rabbit and nearly snorted. That's a terrible idea! With the terrestrial ones XD

Fair enough! I saw fox vs rabbit and nearly snorted. That's a terrible idea! With the terrestrial ones XD

Indeed it is! The rabbit would get demolished.

Also, update:
In an attempt to use an AquaMedic fish trap to catch the fox face, I managed to cut my hand 5 times on various rocks and items in my aquarium. I also ended up getting stung by the Fox twice, yet, I failed to catch the fox. I did scare the literal crap out of him though, and I hope that in doing so I put him back in line as peaceful, otherwise I wasted two hours of my Saturday for nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aw... sad panda! Are you going to the Coral Con the 26th? I know there are going to be quite a few knowledgeable people there who may be able to give you tips on catching buggers without demolishing your tank, your fish or yourself :D

Usually at the beginning there is a sparring or two but after the first day or two things calm down as they realize their spot in the pecking order. They should be OK.

Update:
Just got home from work. No fighting, not even a bit of flaring.

Attachments

• 1458521265154.jpg
    1458521265154.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom