Raising Brine Shrimp.............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diggy415

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought one of those kits that has the stand and airhose and you provide the litter bottle, it's been 24hrs, my question is: How long can i keep the babies in this container after i remove the shells? How fast do they grow, they seem too small to feed to anyone right now. Just want toraise them bigger and when is a good time to transfer them toa 10gl or smaller. thnks

I am going to hitch-hike on this one. I remember a link on here that had a real good setup but I did not print it out. I was looking for it myself lastnight.

ive heard of people decapsulating the cysts and then microwaving them. they said their fish loved it and you dont have to hatch them

If you are really interested in raising brine shrimp and not just hatching them, my page on my experiences may be of interest to you.

RAISING BRINE SHRIMP

I'm sure you are aware of the fact that brine shrimp provide very little nutritional value to your fishes diet. It is compared alot to junk food or candy for humans.

rayjay said:
If you are really interested in raising brine shrimp and not just hatching them, my page on my experiences may be of interest to you.

RAISING BRINE SHRIMP
Ray,

Not sure if your aware but there is mention of your site and a link in the article posted above. It's about ½ down on the right.

Cheers
Steve

skennelly said:
I'm sure you are aware of the fact that brine shrimp provide very little nutritional value to your fishes diet. It is compared alot to junk food or candy for humans.
That's actually only partly correct. Most frozen brine sold commercially or adult live brine from the LFS is very low in nutritional value and actual usuable proteins.

The home raised nauplii are actually quite nutritious. Especially if properly gut loaded before feeding. It's not only what you feed your fish dierctly they gain value from but also what the prey item consumed before they were consumed.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve-s for the info and for the support on nutrition.
Skennelly, I would be ever grateful if you could do some reading on Brine Nutrition in the link below, rather than perpetuate the myth that brine shrimp are not nutritious as our hobbyists believe.
Brine shrimp nauplii and adults are used as a major part of the feeding regieme of mariculture to produce such items as fish and shrimp for the food industry. I'm sure they wouldn't do such a thing if there were no nutrition in the brine.
Michael F McMaster of Mariculture Technologies International (MTI) has assured me that even before gut loading as steve-s mentioned, the brine shrimp have excellent protein levels, as born out on the United Nations article Edited by
Patrick Lavens and Patrick Sorgeloos
Laboratory of Aquaculture and Artemia Reference Center
University of Ghent
Ghent, Belgium.
The article is extensive but it would perhaps be of interest to you .
NUTRITIONAL PROPERTIES OF ONGROWN BRINE SHRIMP
By clicking on the square between the arrows at the top of the page, you can access the remainder of the article on brine shrimp as well as othe live foods as well.
Hopefully you will be converted to someone who can fight this myth that pervades our hobby.
Basically, brine nauplii have high huffa content but low protein levels, whereas the adults have high protein level but very little huffa content so by gut loading them WITH huffa's, you get the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom