Really Sad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I went to the LFS and saw some new arrival of marine fishes, but was shock to see that there are so many fainted. Some are breathing hard. They really use the stunned method to catch fishes. Hope that they could use other methods as to reduce stress of the fishes. :( A few of them died too. ( The owner even take the dead one to feed trigger, oh my god. )

Ohhh yeah I have done that before to... the evil LFS here once got a shipment of 5 fish while I was there 2 dead one puffer just decomposing in the bag one breathing super heavy he was dead within hours and a Yellow Tang who somehow was the one that made it..

Side note: the guy sold the Tang the next day...Hope whoever bought it had a great QT tank as this store has a no return policy

Doan

Very sad, one time we went to our LFS and there was a fish caught in between the two tanks in some like filter material, it was still alive but stuck, we told the guy there because my son was really upset that it was suffering, they guy just replied back to my son, oh that's ok, he does that all the time. :evil: Don't understand why they treat these beautiful creatures the way they do. :(

How they arrive may or may not be indicative of how they were caught. They are sent in packaging with a limited amount of oxygen, and sometimes the distance can be quite far. I have close contact with my LFS and have seen tons of shipments from reputable dealers and the fish are almost always stressed (labored breathing, etc.) and there are usually a few casualties. These are the same fish you see swimming normally in the holding tanks hours later.

The fact is that shipping methods in the industry simply aren't that great yet and improvements would be a major accomplishment for the welfare of livestock. This is the main reason I don't MO livestock.

Back
Top Bottom