Reaquascaping downfalls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been up for a year, I recently got a sump started and was able to move some rock to my sump - so I just reaquascaped.

I did a lot of moving of the sand. Will digging in a deep send bed (4 inches) release nitrates? Of course I did a water change RIGHT before I decided to re-aquascape (stupid). Anything else I should look out for after moving things around?

I just got my 'trates under control so I hope I didn't jeopardize that.

Thanks.

- Skins

Sand STill hasn't completely settled. I'll just test tomorrow...hopefully I'm all set.

I've done some re-aquascaping a couple of times and I've had a ph fall down and blow sand all over the place a few times. After the sand settled I have not noticed any change in water parameters. I'm not saying that a release of nutrients isn't possible, just that if the sb is working and you have a good clean up crew, the occasional storm should not be problem.

Thanks. I tested today and my trates are 5 and ph is 8.2.

Here are some before and after shots. I basically wanted a swimming column in the middle and have two seperate structures, rather than a stack of rocks, and utilize the height of my tall tank to create more swimming room. I also wanted to make some caves on the bottom since I am considering an eel. Don't worry - I know the structure is pretty high but the big rocks on the bottom are sitting on a few rocks that are dug deep in the sand bed and they are very sturdy. I'm not too worry about toppling with an eel. Hopefully, he'll like the cave so much he won't need to dig.

Now that the sand has settled, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this new arrangement kind of boring and still cluttered. But, my fish seem to like it a lot more. They're swimming all around instead of staying just in the front. I think they like the holes and more swimming room in general.

Before....

oldrocks1.jpg

After....

newrocks1.jpg

After (caves)....

newrocks_caves.jpg

Any opinions would be helpfull. Not sure how I feel about it.

- Skins

Back
Top Bottom