Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you certain of this? I have sps doing fine 30" away from the fixtures, and these can't be as strong as yours. Plenty of LPS too.

Yes, I have a thick acrylic top that doesn't help, but I only measure about 4-500 par at the surface and under 100 at the bottom. These are only 120 watt fixtures (3). 120 3 watt LED's.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Been having a bad bout with my wall frogspawn and wall hammer... Both seem to be closed up anywhere between 25%-75%... All other corals look fluffy and happy. I also haven't seen 2/3 of my fire gobies in a few days so I'm thinking I may unfortunately have lost them, and getting a nutrient spike due to it.

I suppose I'll plan a large water change in the next couple of days and see if I can pull them back to life...

Ok so basically recovering from a small crash. Lack of time to maintain led it down a disastrous road.

Anywho... Nuked my flatworm problem away. Corals look unaffected which is good.

Ongoing issue here, by the looks of these 3 corals, do you think they could recover?

Wall frogspawn

Another wall frog

Birdsnest

I'd frag some pieces off of that birds nest just in case the rtn continues.

What is the best way to frag it? Never done it before?

Thoughts on the LPS? Of the 3 corals pictures, the birds nest is actually the easiest and cheapest to get, however Id like to see a turnaround on all, so will still do my best to revive the birdsnest too.

One of the local fraggers is realllllly about higher Alk in his tanks, which is where all of these are from. Could it be slowly going down hill from a lower ALK level in my tank (over the course of 3-4 months)?

They can recover. I can't really tell from the pictures, but if they have any brown jelly disease I would at least give them a Lugols iodine dip. If so, be careful removing the corals for this dip so the brown jelly doesn't blow off and float around the tank, as I found it to be contagious. If it's just the picture and there's no BJD, then just wait it out.
Where are you keeping your alk at? If it's above 7 and the corals have been fine in it for months, then I doubt this is your problem.

As for fragging the BN, just use wire cutters, nail clippers or some other tool to snip pieces off, taking care to not bring any dead parts with them. in some cases that tissue loss will be arrested with the separation.

So I was pretty confident i got all the flatworms with the eXit. I was wrong. How long should I wait before nuking my tank again? Should I do a large water change before I do it so I don't overdose it? Or is the current dose pretty much gone at this point? I did it yesterday and have been running an entire reactor canister of carbon since I saw the masses die off per the instructions...

Why are you even worrying about them? They will die off on their own eventually. I'd probably do a water change and wait a few days before blasting them again though.

Why are you even worrying about them? They will die off on their own eventually. I'd probably do a water change and wait a few days before blasting them again though.

They really started multiplying... Visible groups of 100 or so on certain rocks. Didn't want things getting completely out of control and wanted to try to nip it in the bud, also had a sneaky suspicion they were taking a couple corals out (during the original nuke I saw about 20 or so emerge from the tissue of my wall frogspawn) I suppose I can just do due diligence and keep an eye on these ones and suck out what I can during water changes...

They perch on high spots for light. Unfortunately, we seem to strategically place our corals so they can get ample light,. and this is why they cover them. They aren't directly hurting them except for possibly hindering light absorption.

Thoughts on what this could be?

Sorry it's kinda fuzzy had to zoom far to get a decent pic...

Back
Top Bottom