Recomendations For Braking Down My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What method should I use to break my tank down. Pretty obvious on the rock,fish etc, but what about the sand. It's going to get all stirred up in removal and wont it mess up my bio filteration or not. Any other thoughts on the process of doing this.

What is the purpose of breaking down your tank? Are you changing our the stand? (from a previous thread). Just use 5 gal. buckets to store your sand. If it is going to just be a few hours it should stay wet enough to keep the benificial bacteria going just fine.

Yep I've had a rough 24 hours but shortly I will be back up to par I hope. The tank needed a good cleaning anyway,lol

Get a tupperware container, place a heater and a PH or two and place the animals in it.
I would then get some trash cans and siphon them part way with water (to keep them from overflowing when you put the rock in). Then you could place the rock in the cans and continue filling them.
As for the sand,get another container and take out only as much as you need to move the tank and do the switch (I assume this will be a quick changeover) just be sure to keep the sand saturated.
After you are done with the switch place everything but the animals back in. I would suggest running the tank for 12-24 hours and do a good test on the water parameter before returning the livestock. Just to be sure nothing spikes from all this activity.
Good luck dude!!
Oh, if you don't have enough room in the garbage cans for all the rock, be sure to place some soaked towels over any rock you cannot keep submerged.

Back
Top Bottom