Recommended flow rate through refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoozFishMaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about setting up a refugium for a 180 gal. I just have a few questions and am hoping to get some opinions.

I was thinking about using a dsb in the fuge, but from what I have gathered, most people have very little flow through the fuge. If a dsb is implemented, and the flow rate is minimal, wouldn't a lot of detritus settle on the dsb? On the same note, what is the recommended flow rate through a fuge?
If I do go with a dsb, would adding sand sifting critters (hermits, snails, stars) to the fuge be beneficial, or should i just depend on micro fauna from the live sand to oxygenate the upper parts and prevent sediment clumping?
I would definitely add macroalgae to the fuge, but would adding live rock also be beneficial?
Should the fuge receive regular maintainence (besides pruning of macroalgae) and if so, what does this involve? Thanks in advance.

The refugium has gotten a lot of thought since becoming a large part of the hobby. I think initially the thought of slowing the flow was to allow the macro algeas longer contact time to pull nutrients. IMO, this isn;t the case for two reasons: Any time the macros are in contact with water it can pull nutrients, and in the wild flow is isn't controlled anywhere. I think the flow through a refugium should be limited only to keep from throwing stuff around in a current. The idea for the fuge is to grow macros without having them in the display, providing an area free of predation for pod population, and increasing filtration ability. I definately think the addition of critters is a good thing (cleanup crew) to maintain the DSB. And other than regular maintenance with the rest of the system and pruning of macro growth, it should be virtually trouble free.

HTH,
R-

Back
Top Bottom