Recommended size refugium for a 29 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjsanders757

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting a 29 gallon tank and would like to know a good size refugium to set up with it.

Usually what's reccomended for a refugium or sump is as big as you can fit even of its bigger than the display tank.

Yes larger is better. Iargest that is possible/fits is what i would suggest. More water volume and more room for macro's or mangroves perhaps.

Can I use dried out rock that use to be in my old tank in my new 29 gallon tank? Or in a refugium as live rock rubble if I break it up.

Yes it will become live I would just soak in a 1:1 vinegar water solution to take out all the old dead crap in the pores.

I would use table shrimp, about a handful, put them in some panty hose and set them in your tank and let them rot.

And can I use my three stiped damsel to do the fish cycle and just feed him regulary?

Generally 2-4 weeks, you can use the damsel, most people say it's cruel and what not, but a 3 stripe will be fine, don't add the shrimp with the 3 stripe though, he will be enough. Get a test kit and test your ammonia nitrites and nitrates. When you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20+ nitrates, do a large water change and you should be good, there's a little more to it than that but that's the short version, read up on it while you wait, I've heard this many times on here and I believe it - " nothing good happens fast in a reef tank"

So I've been adding in pellets into my hob finnex refugium and the pellets are becoming white. Is this a good sign or should take them out?

With a cycle you need a test kit to know what is going on, without a ammonia nitrite, nitrate, test results there's no way to tell if your tank is heading in the right direction.

I have the test strips nitrate and nitrites show up 0 but there is diatom brown film growing on my rocks.

How long have you had an ammonia source in the tank? Like those food pellets. I would add more put a handful in some type of flow through bag or mesh. You have to get ammonia then nitrites and then nitrates, those are the measurable waste products of the beneficial bacteria you are trying to culture.

I've had them in for a few days and started turning white so I researched it. Could have been fungus so threw it out.

Tank cycling for two weeks now have brown algae growing and little white bugs(copepods?) on the glass all over. Is the cycle done or close to being done?

There's still two shrimp in a net and lots of Copepods all over the tank. I added some blue leg crabs. They seem to be doing well along with destroying the brown algae. Lol

What are your basic test levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH)? If you don't have any ammonia or nitrite you can take out the shrimp, do water changes until your nitrates are low, and then start stocking your tank. If this is going to be a reef you'll want to test the dKH and even calcium if you plan on having stony corals (even magnesium for a SPS tank). What are your plans for the tank?

Back
Top Bottom