Red Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louherz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

Been a little while since I last posted. I am starting to have a problem with red algae that is growing on a rock and a little on the sand bed. Is there any bottom feeder that would eat it. I have a 62gallon high tank. I have about 70lbs of live rock. 5 red legged hermits. 2 clowns, watchman gobie, coral banded shrimp, yellow tang and some soft corals. I have power compact lighting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Louis

Depends on the type of algea you have
what kind of Algea are you having an issue with ?

my Turbo snails cleaned up the red hair algea I was growing all over my LR

I buy my water at the Fish store, I believe it is RO. The algae is slimy and has bubbles on it. It is not bad now, but I am afraid that it might get worse if I don't deal with it now. Thanks,

Louis

Sounds like cyno bacteria..... Phosphates and excess nutrients bring it on. Feeding to much is one of the possible reasons. Low water flow and old bulbs help it grow also. how old are your bulbs? as they age the spectrum changes..
Get a PO4 test kit and check the water.......

Bulbs are about 1 year old. Is this to old? Is there anything that will eat this bacteria? Could be excess feeding, I will cut back and see if that helps. Any suggestions to get rid of it would be helpful.

Louis

I started to get some Cyno in the dead areas of my tank where the water movement was poor.

This is what I did and it seemed to work.

Hit the Algea with a power head. Everytime I saw some I would blast it.
Then I bought a wave maker and made sure that I had good water movement through out the tank. I am not saying you need a wave maker but adding good circulation wont allow the algea the settle well. maybe an extra PH

Lighten up on feedings. I feed every other day.

I cut mt MH lights from 10 hours a day to 8

After a few weeks and regular water changes with RO water it went away.

My tank is only a few months old and I've gone through a few small spurts of algea problems. Things seem to be getting better. hopefully yours will too.

I am sure others can give more advide.

Good Luck.

PC lights a year is around when they should be changed. Lights coulbd be part of the problem it can help it grow, the over feeding and a high PO4 would be the main issues.
Get a PO4 test kit and let us know what the level is, if its high do a few water changes this week and try and get the levels down. How is the flow rate in your tank. Hard to help you with out knowing th po4 level.

Back
Top Bottom