Red Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriends05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some help with eliminating red algae. It is starting to cover the bottom of my tank with a red mat and will end up covering everything else up. Scrapping it off the glass and bottom does absolutely nothing to solve it, as it just comes back by the end of the day. I would love to get some suggestions as to how eliminate it. Thank you.

First off, dont scrape it off, suck it up airline tubing. The tubing is large enough to suck up the algae, yet you will not lose alot of water that you have to replace. Second, check your feeding amounts, cut back where you can. Use R/O water in your water changes and do all that you can to get nitrates and phosphates down.

I cannot stress enough that you need patience and diligence to combat cyano and win. It is not something that will go away quickly. Getting cleanup crew creatures that specialize in cyano will help. My personal favorites are sally lightfoot crabs and zebra hermits. Turbo snails will also help.

we had that problem years ago hubby sucked it up with a turkey baster (now housed under aquarium,not in kitchen :mrgreen: ) have not seen any since the ro unit.

Back
Top Bottom