Red alge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterking

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm having a problem with red alge growing on my sand pretty thick stuff two and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind it was and what kind of fish or invert should I buy to get rid of it I was thinking a lawn blennie ?

Attachments

• image-2815814792.jpg
    image-2815814792.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 101
Looks like cyano alage. I don't think a lawmower blenny will eat that stuff though. there are snails that do though, check out ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae they have some nifty clean up crew.

I would vacuum as much of that red up as possible during your water changes though that will help to get rid of it. Are you using ro/di water and how often do you do water changes? What is your feeding schedule and what do you feed? And finally what type of water circulation do you have and the tank size?

I have a 75g tank and I use ro/di water with reef salt and I do about 15 gallons every two weeks maybe a little more and I have to korilla 750s in it now

I also feed twice a day flakes at late afternoon and in the morning frozen mycis shrimp

You will probably want to cut back on your feeding, believe it or not you can get away just fine with feeding every other day. :) Those flakes and the frozen cubes are probably adding additional nutrients to the tank and casuign the algae to grow.

Really ? I didn't know that could cause a problem like that ,I always thought feeding twice a day was better for your fish I know it's not that good when it's a reef also like mine

My friend and I both had it in our tanks he used chemicals and I didn't. He still has to treat his about once a month and I haven't had any return. We use the same water from my ro filter so I know it isn't that and use the same food. It is actually a bacteria and I think has a lot to do with in. On one forum they suggested when starting a new tank is to use tank water from a healthy tank during the cycle to help prevent it.

Yeah well my tank is been Running for about 5 months or so and never had this problem before or in my other tanks I have green hair alge and stuff but never this type and I don't want use chemicals because it's not good for the Eco system developing in the tank

Back
Top Bottom