Red flatworms in my prop tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been neglecting this tank due to school/work/etc.... I recently noticed a mass explosion of what looks to be red/orange flatworms. I siphoned a ton out but there are still a good amount more. The tank is 30g and has a bunch of mushrooms/ployps/leathers etc.... I'm assuming they are eating the corals in the tank but I"m not 100% sure what they are eating.

I was considerint using flatworm exit but have heard mixed results. I guess my best bet would be to use a airline tube to siphon out as many as possible(they are only the size of a pencil tip) then use flatworm exit followd by a large water change and some fresh GAC.

Any thoughts on this?

I used the airline tubing to rid most of them. I have cut down on coral feeding and they aren't multiplying as fast anymore. I don't think the red ones are coral eaters. If you decide to use it, siphon out as many as you can and be prepared for some large water changes. I would only use this as a last resort. Good Luck.

I have heard six line wrasse's will eat the red flatworms.....is this true? If so, I need to get one!

Not sure about the 6 lines?

We have some Velvet nudibranchs at work that are black with 2 neon bluelines down them that are "supposed" to eat flatworms.

Anybody know if either of these will do the job?

I have not seen them eat any FW but I have read that the 6 and 4 line wrasse will help. My reef club member is using the nudi and it is working well for him in his reef. The only down side is that the nudi will die when the food supply is gone.
I know several guys who have used the FW exit with success in reefs. Just remember you need to try and syphon out as many dead FW as possible. I have a ton of them in my 20 fuge on my FOWLR(came on some free caluerpa) I have not done anything to them yet, may try a 4 line wrasse when I find one.

what about that stuff called flat worm exit or something like that. Not 100% sure if it is reef safe but i do know it is supposed to kill all flatworms and then you are supposed to run large amounts of carbon so it doesn't kill everything in the tank

Back
Top Bottom