Red macro isn't growing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a small patch of red macro algae last Saturday. I know it had only been like 5 days but I don't see any growth at all with this little guy. I watched a video on YouTube and it was a video of some macro growing and filling up a 20 gallon tank in 16 hours, I'm just wondering if I'm doing anything wrong or if I can do anything to help speed up the process of it's growth. (The first pic is of last Saturday and the second pic is of 5 mins ago) IMG_8167.jpgIMG_8165.jpg

It takes time for algae to grow. The better the lighting, the easier it is for algae to grow as their photosynthetic needs will be met. I wouldn't be too worried about it not growing as fast as someone with high powered lighting when you are running VHO bulbs.

It takes time for algae to grow. The better the lighting, the easier it is for algae to grow as their photosynthetic needs will be met. I wouldn't be too worried about it not growing as fast as someone with high powered lighting when you are running VHO bulbs.

Yea that makes sense, I have an led light that is hooked to the hood of the tank that's probably why. Thank you for the reply!!

I have another question... how big do you think it will get?

some macros can grow fast but a lot of reds are slower growers most grow about a inch per 6 months depending lighting and conditions , the fastest growing red macro I know is red grape ,
not all macros grow fast they take time . if your keeping it in your main display the fish will eat it faster than it grows
redalgae

some macros can grow fast but a lot of reds are slower growers most grow about a inch per 6 months depending lighting and conditions , the fastest growing red macro I know is red grape ,
not all macros grow fast they take time . if your keeping it in your main display the fish will eat it faster than it grows
redalgae

I am keeping it in a seahorse tank, do you think they will eat it? Also how big will it get or will it just never stop growing since it grows very slow

you wont have to worry about it out growing your tank
with the lighting on a seahorse tank it will grow rather slow anyhow
that link I gave you can help tell you what macros grow faster than others
you can always trim macros as they grow it's recommended anyway to help export nutrients out of the tank. if your looking for something for seahorses to latch on to you can always try some gorgonians

you wont have to worry about it out growing your tank
with the lighting on a seahorse tank it will grow rather slow anyhow
that link I gave you can help tell you what macros grow faster than others
you can always trim macros as they grow it's recommended anyway to help export nutrients out of the tank. if your looking for something for seahorses to latch on to you can always try some gorgonians

Ok thank you so much!! I will look into the gorgonians

Back
Top Bottom