Red sea coral pro salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone with red sea coral pro salt please test some newly mixed salt for ammonia and tell me what you get?

reefrunner69 said:
Can someone with red sea coral pro salt please test some newly mixed salt for ammonia and tell me what you get?

I dont use it but might be container your mixing in when i put my ro in my culigan container i get less than 10 on tds but if i put ro in a 5g bucket it reads over 40 on tds

I can when I'm at the house. What test kit are you using? Also referring to the bucket the jump in TDS could be salt residue from the last time you mixed saltwater in there.

danbstrong said:
I dont use it but might be container your mixing in when i put my ro in my culigan container i get less than 10 on tds but if i put ro in a 5g bucket it reads over 40 on tds

Yeah, im thinking thats a possibility,I'm using a garbage can for mixing, but it's not a brute. I'm specifically looking for ammonia.

I use 0 TDS water and Red Sea Coral Pro i have 0 Ammonia. I use s Brute trash can because they are food grade.

Have you tested the water freshly mixed still in the brute can? That's what I'm interested in, and how high. I would mix some up in a glass container to test but I am out of salt.

There was a thread about this very topic several months ago. End result I can't recall, but it involved ammonia readings with red sea salt. I only remember there being some involved in making it and carry over purr something. I think out might have been replaced due to it being a processing issue.

reefrunner69 said:
Have you tested the water freshly mixed still in the brute can? That's what I'm interested in, and how high. I would mix some up in a glass container to test but I am out of salt.

Yes i run all tests with every new bucket the bucket i am using now is 2 weeks old

bavass said:
Yes i run all tests with every new bucket the bucket i am using now is 2 weeks old

Thanks, I'm having different results. I'm getting 2ppm ammonia in freshly mixed salt. I suppose it could be the container, it's definitely not the source water. I guess I'll rinse the container and pour some fresh RO/DI water in the container and let it aerate and see what it tests at.

Saratj1 said:
So forty TDS would that be parts per thousand?

TDS is measured in parts per million.

I will mix some up tonight when I get home from work and report the results. Just fyi, I mix in a home depot bucket.

So I added 5 gallons of RO/DI water to my mixing can and turned on the mag-drive 7 pimp I use for mixing...waited 2 hours and tested the freshwater. The readings were 0 ammonia, so it's not the source water and it's not the mixing container, only leaves one thing it could be....the salt.

I already had a bucket of reef crystals coming from foster & smith, will be here tomorrow, so it wasn't that big a deal, but if you use the red sea coral pro salt...watch your levels. I probably got some out of a bad batch.

reefrunner69 said:
So I added 5 gallons of RO/DI water to my mixing can and turned on the mag-drive 7 pimp I use for mixing...waited 2 hours and tested the freshwater. The readings were 0 ammonia, so it's not the source water and it's not the mixing container, only leaves one thing it could be....the salt.

I already had a bucket of reef crystals coming from foster & smith, will be here tomorrow, so it wasn't that big a deal, but if you use the red sea coral pro salt...watch your levels. I probably got some out of a bad batch.

+1 reefcrystals been using 5 years no issues yet

Sorry that I am a week and a half late in getting back to this thread, but I did an ammonia test yesterday on my newly mixed red sea coral pro water and my ammonia read 0. Just fyi.

Back
Top Bottom