Red Sea Star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
i hear these sea stars love hair algea true or false? I have a 24 gallon jbj biocube that well might be slightly to close to a window an i have been fighting hair algea on the glass since january. I know simple answer is move the tank however I got a pretty major issue with that. Issue with moving the tank is my balance sucks due to cerebal palsy so i don't want to risk dropping the tank the weight of it when it was completely empty I almost dropped it trying to remove from my car. I had to call my uncle to come help me move the tank because it threw my balance off so much. However here comes issue number 2 on moving it my uncle has passed on and is now looking up from bellow. Only option I really have is to get a crew in there to get it under control so far i have a cuc from reefs2go in there well bout 20-25% of that crew most were doa. didn't put a dent in algea 60 days after that crew i added a crew from reef cleaners the full crew was great more then i ordered all alive. they got the rocks looking great but still scrapping regulary off glass an the back part of tank tons of hair algea. after moth of the last cuc I added a lawn mower blenny there for awhile he did great mowed it down glass was clear tank looked great. However that sucker quit eating Algea he however is healthy infact very healthy everytime i throw in freeze dried mysis shrimp or pellets in tank to feed the pair of fancy ocellaris an the bangaii cardinal he goes crazy and eats well he even eats flake food. I seen this star at liveaquaria and said there if not sufficient algea in tank i can supplement flake food for sea star would this work? will this star eat hair algea any ideas?

First, you might just use a piece of black paper or a curtain to block the outside light. Keep your water changes going to export the waste products. Use distilled or RO/DI water to make saltwater and to top off. Its dissolved organic compounds from tap water or over feeding that the algae grows on. I suggest some snails, red and blue legged hermit crabs, but not that starfish. That type isn't easy to keep alive and I am not aware that they eat much hair algae. Reduce your feeding a bit as well.

Lifting a fish tank is a challenge for somebody with good balance, so don't feel bad.

thanks can't believe i didn't think of the piece of paper to block light out tried everythig else though on the suggestions. can't figure it out the only tank in the room with issues is this biocube lol my other 2 tanks no algea at all except coraline. may even put up some black lawn garbage bags over widow in room then curtain back over that see if that helps theres over 100 different snails in the tank. 12 or so hermits maybe close to 20. assuming the little bugs all over the sand is copods an tank been plauged with algea. been using distilled water since february or march one them 2 months made the rookie mistake first starting out put tap straight in to start in jan. wonder if its the compact flourrescents growing it though i have not turned the blue lights on in over 2 months. lfs suggested 2 blue tangs but i dont think one be even happy in a 24 gallon let alone 2 once grown wouldnt have much room to swim an really don't want tangs in my 55 thats my seahorse tank in near future. thanks for heads up on the star. last time i was told to get a star i didn't check here 1st an well by time i found out not good idea in tank it was too late an lfs wouldn't take it back. though did find that star a home in 120 gallon tank.

The red sea is full of starfish. Which star do you mean? That said, I think most starfish are carnivores.

thanks for confirming my thinking was right an not go with their suggestion. may i ask what kind of led lighting you using? that looked really nice on the 300 gallon you got posted. i'd love to get my tanks looking something like that but on a smaller scale and have mine mostly zoa dominated. not sure what it is bout zoa's but they are my favorite coral don't know why liked them well before switching to saltwater from fresh those are actually the only reason i originally made the jump so could put them in the tank lol silly reason to jump from fresh to salt i know but there were also fish i liked just not enough to make the conversion. Mr.X i think thats all they had it listed as over that online shop. but with what i found out I won't be even thinking bout putting him in the tank now.

Zoas are perfect for a smaller system. Huge variety out there.

There are now many led fixtures to choose from that grows coral. one of the least expensive favorites is distributed by Taotronics and is sold on Ebay. A small tank should have one that dims or its height over the tank can be adjusted to slowly acclimate your livestock.

I assumed you meant a "red starfish" as there is a big variety of suitable stars that come from the Red Sea.

That's what I thought you meant. It's not an easy one to keep, but its certainly possible with enough care. They are sensitive to any rapid ph or salinity swings, so in that regard a larger system would be stabler and easier to keep a star like this.

Also Spanky, depending on where you live, there are forum members that would be glad to help you with anything physical you need to keep your hobby going.

cool thanks definetly kept me from making a possible mistake don't need something too difficult just yet to keep alive still plenty of learning i got to do.

Thanks for help with this. thinking best to shy away from stars for time being. try blocking the side with heavy cardboard or something incase the sun getting in to much through curtain. i'd be real nervous not seeing star thinking it burried itself to go die somewhere. You guys both helped me realize not best route to go at this time. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom