Red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help! I've got red slime algae. I've read the other posts on this board and thought for sure I had a phosate problem. Went out got my little kit and I'm reading less than .2 (the lowest that my test kit goes). So I assume that's not the issue. I do not use ro/di for water changes / top off, which is why I thought phosate. I do not over feed.

Some facts: 30 gallon fowlr
Amm 0
nitrate less than 10
nitrites less than .2
sg 1.024
temp 82
ph 8.0
phosate less than .2

I've got two false percs, a red stripped goby and 6 astrea snails and about 4-5 turbo snails. My cleaner shrimp died today -- I found what was left of him this evening, which may explain the elevated levels of nitrite and nitrate. I tested the tank two weeks ago and all was 0.

So, why the red slime problem. :?: came back 2 days after my last water change 2 weeks ago

And does any one know why my shrimp might have died with no warning what so ever :cry:

I do not use ro/di for water changes / top off, which is why I thought phosate. I do not over feed.

More than likely you do have a po4 issue. The alge is consuming the po4 and that is why you are not getting high readings ;) There is also the issue of waterflow. Cyano esults in nutrient rich low waterflow areas. Do some watrerchanges using RO/DI water (siphon the cyano out during the water change) mixed to the same SG, ph and temp as the tank, reduce feeding, increase skimming and increase waterflow.

And does any one know why my shrimp might have died with no warning what so ever

Could be a molt rather than a death. Shrimp will hide for a couple days after they molt, they are very vulnerable while their shell hardens.

So, you are saying Po4 is not reading because it's gone, consumed by the algae, but there was enough to sustain the algae growth in the first place???

Pretty sure it's not a molt. been there before and this looks like dead shrimp. I also lost my two peppermint shrimp a few months ago.... any ideas?

So, you are saying Po4 is not reading because it's gone

No, I'm saying it is lower than your test kit can read (even it's lowest reading is high for PO4 IMO), not necessarily gone. There is also organic phosphates to consider which cannot be measured by test kits. IME, once the algae has a foothold, it takes very little to sustain it, it needs the nutrients for growth. I also mentioned waterflow, can we assume that the areas with cyano are getting good waterflow?

I actually moved the ph to provide better flow to those areas.

Reefrunner covered it, if you can measure any inorganic phosphate then rest assured your organic phosphates are considerably higher. You might try a phosphate sponge, but i think you will not get rid of this problem until you go with RO/DI water. HTH

Thanks guys. I may try a phosphate sponge. I don't think RO/Di is in my immediate future.

I also adjusted the ph and may get another, since the worst outbreak is in one corner which was not getting the most flow.

Back
Top Bottom