Red Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this fuzzy red stuff growing on one of my LR,s and a little bit in the subsrate. I know without a pic it will be hard to identify, but could someone maybe try. I will try and get a pic. TIA

Hard to tell from that photo...do you have another? I bet it's cyano, too. Do a search on this site for "cyano" in the "salwater & reef - Identification" section and see if that's what you have on your LR/Substrate.

It looks like red hair algae to me. I could of course be wrong, but that is my thought.

Please give it a touch and let us know its texture and what not. Does it come off easily?

Update.. It does feel slick or slimy. And it does have some small air bubbles on it. It is only on that one piece of LR. And the crabs and snails seem to be eating some of it.
And now the big ?. How do i get rid of it?

If it is one rock that is easily removed I would get a (clean) bucket and put some tank water in it. Get a new cheap toothbrush or similar and just scrub it off using the water in the bucket. Have a cup ready to get some water from the tank to do the final rinse in the bucket before placing it back in the tank. If taking the rock out is no good then get a siphon hose and a toothbrush and do the best you can in the tank. You need to stop the source of excess nutrients etc. or it will just come back. Most of the time it is from too much feeding.

I found the article on how to fix it. Thanks for the help in identifing the stuff. :(

Back
Top Bottom