Red tile starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever heard of a red tile starfish? The FLS had one but I decided to check on it since I don't know much about starfish. Looks similar to the sea stars on liveaquaria.

Would this be a nice addition?

no one? The research I have read seem like they are very reef safe and a bit easier than a linkia.

Will these need a longer than normal drip acclimation and can they be exposed to air on the transfer to the tank? I have read starfish can be particular on these 2 things.

Thanks

I just had the guy at the LFS hold it for me and he said it had 6 arms. Is this normal?

Thanks. From picture it appears to be similar to the sea stars sold at live aquaria. I wonder if the like warmer water. I keep my temps at 82-84 and liveaquaria shows 72-78. I think they have that temp for most things though...

Well I went to the LFS yesterday and picked the star up. I swear it had not moved since Wed. I floated it and dripped for 4 hours or so. I guess I dripped it to fast or not long enough. One of the legs is dissolving and another looks bad.

This sucks, I really wanted a starfish and I thought these would be easier than a Linkia.

It's not always going to be what you did. LFS's are notorious for just placing animals in the tank without much if any acclamation time. Could easily be a result of too many transitions.

FWIW, Fromia's are alot easier to keep but you could also look into Echinaster & Tamaria. All three are typically hardier and will acclimate well depending on their travel history. Also be sure the star is released underwater and not touched by bare hands.

Cheers
Steve

I had read that stars should not be exposed to air and touched by hand but the guy at the LFS grabbed him by hand and placed him in the bag exposing him to air.
8O

When I added him to the tank, I used the bag he came in and tried to keep him submerged without adding too much of the acclimation water.

Sucks! This was the first starfish I have seen locally and he is an awesome color.

I checked out the other stars you listed at liveaquaria. I might try one next time I order. Thanks Steve.

Never be afraid to use your voice when it comes to LFS ignorance. Corals and inverts whenever possible should be handled with gloves (depending on species), many are not that sensitive but OMG I've seen some nasty hygiene. The employee is at least able to use a loose plastic bag over their hands as a barrier. I'm sure if your polite they will respond easily enough to your requests. If not, you always have the choice not to buy. :wink:

I remember one time I asked the same and the person continued to do it their own way. I simpley turned around and walked out.

Cheers
Steve

Good advice. I like to assume they know more than me but alas that is not always the case. The sad thing was I asked this particular guy to get it sice he has worked in this store as as long as I have been into SW. He also works at a big aquarium.

I will be ready next time.

Back
Top Bottom