Red turf algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
I should've chipped away at this when it was a small amount. It's all over that middle rock. Problem is, I have a favia on it. What can I do? Chip have the rock off? Please helpuploadfromtaptalk1423881769424.jpg

Yeah that's a problem. I pulled all my rock when it had green hair and red turf all over it. Took about a total of 6 weeks to finally rid myself of both. I lost a rock that probably had about 25 to 30 red mushrooms on it. That was a sad month and a half

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, so I took out the rock and chiseled part of it off. Worked out pretty good I think. Should've done this when it was only a small patch! Glad it didn't spread to other rocksuploadfromtaptalk1423958260861.jpg

Good to hear. After I had responded, I have been experimenting with the pieces that can be removed from my tank. I've been having great success with the hydrogen peroxide. When it comes to being very close to corals like that, I have been dipping an electric toothbrush in my mixture and running it over the spots of issues. After manually removing what I can, of course, this has been very successful.

I've used hydrogen peroxide to get rid off bit of green turf algae. all I done was remove the Rock and used cotton buds to wipe the area with the peroxide and it died but don't no if it would kill corals but would of thought so.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I heard of peroxide. Would it hurt my coral if some dropped on it?

That depends on the coral. Stony corals are not friends with peroxide. But, really nothing is in this case. I have submerged zoas into it and thought that they were dead...but several days later opened up. I have used an electric toothbrush being dipped into peroxide or peroxide solution to get at the algae issues close to the growth of stony corals without damaging them. Right away it doesn't look like anything was solved, but in a couple of days the algae will be gone.

Back
Top Bottom