reddish brown algae--help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youpey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have reddish brown algae growing in my tank. Is there anything I can get that will eat, destroy this algae.

possibly cyano...im having the same problem...do a water change and siphon all of it out and then use RO water and cut back on ur feeding. Could be diatoms as well...just make sure ur using RO water

if you control it then no, if you let it grow rapidly then it will take the oxigen out of the water, the best way too deal with it is water changes, makeing sure that your not over feeding have a low PO4, useing RO water , some snails eat it, i know the fighting conch does.

the tank is 6 or 7 weeks old. My lfs told me i can get some chemical called erase, i think, and he had something called red slime, i think. He also said a goby or another bottom fish could kick it around not giving it a chance to settle. I really dont want to put in any chemical. but i dont have a ro/di. I am not sure if there is anything really. where can i get a fighting conch, is there a reputable place online, because my lfs doesnt carry that stuff

Dumping chemicals in a tank to get rid of cyano isnt tanking care of the problem. Even if you arent using a ro/di you can get ro/di water from a local store. I just got 3 gallons last night for 87 cents. It really does make a big difference. I had some cyano and diatoms but all gone now. Also look into a cleanup crew like astrea snails, nassarius and shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom