Redesign Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6eteeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yes, awesome drawing I know. So when I bought the tank it came with this sump. 48"x12"x18". The way it's piped now is the 2 overflows combine and then split into 3 pipes that empty into the 3 boxes of the sump. Before he was using Bioballs that were held up using a plastic mesh with nothing in the last compartment. The bottom of the sump is continuous the entire length with the separating walls sitting about 6" off the bottom. I'd like to add a refugium and possibly some more live rock. I just ordered a magdrive and will be replumbing it. Any suggestions or ideas? I'm thinking using the first box as the sole entry point with one or two filter socks but not sure how to utilize the other boxes with bottom being continuous. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 1398746249508.jpg
    1398746249508.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 115
Yes what x says is the most common sump configuration

So no water travels over the tops? If it's glass with glass baffles you can cut them out wit a razor and re- silicone them or new ones in the way you want. If it's acrylic you will need to be a little more creative unless you can get in there to cut them out.

Oh...I didn't see a line to an external skimmer until I enlarged the pic. Will you keep the external skimmer or get a different one? What model is it? I would want the skimmer fed from the intake area.

Yea no water travels over the top, it's just continuous on the bottom. Previous owner wasn't using a skimmer so I don't have one yet, tank is still cycling.

What's the reasoning for having skimmer fed from intake area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would rather it not be another obstacle for the pods to navigate through before they make it to the display.

Plus, the dirtiest water in the sump is right at the intake. Most effective place to put the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom