Redoing my tank. Need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have lots of reasons to redo my tank. One that actually makes me consider doing it is my sixline wrasse. Today I witnessed my 2nd cleaner shrimp being killed by the wrasse. I want to get it out, which means i'll have to tear down my tank.

For awhile, my tank has been having ick but none of my fish were heavily infected; just a spot here and there. Now that I'm going to tear down the tank, Im planning to get rid of ick once and for all.

So, here's my plan:
Im gonna drain out 12G of water into 2 5G buckets and 2 small containers. The fish will go into a 5G bucket and some of the removed LR + corals will go into the other bucket and 1 container. The anemone will be in a seperate container. I'll bring the fish to a trusty LFS as soon as Im done taking them all out. Then i'll let my tank be fishless for awhile before taking the fish back.

Questions:
1. Any flaw in my plan?
2. Any suggestions how to improve my plan?
3. How long do I need to leave my tank fishless to rid ick?

TIA

hold on, your redoing your tank because of a fish? what other reasons?

your idea sounds ok, i dunno how long the fish are gonna be in a non-heated bucket, you might just wanna buy a hospital tank and store them in. then i would refill what gallons you have in your main tank, and turn the water up, and because you wont have any fish in it, turn the heater way up, past 90 at least. the ich, as us fw people do it, is let the tank sit on a high temp for 2 weeks.

a flaw would be, that if your fish could already have ich in the bucket with them, so the only way would be also to use ich treatment (careful, i know it killed 2 dwarf gouramis in 2 days) and sw fish are a lot more sensitive, so maybe turning the water up to 87 (we fw people treat ich at 87, i dunno how sw fish would react)

Yes the primary reason is the devil fish. He's been beating up small fish in my tank and I really want him out this time that he killed another shrimp of mine.

The fish won't have to stay in the bucket for long. Im bringing them to a LFS where the owner will keep them for me until my tank is ready for fish again.

My tank won't have fish but it will still have corals, anemone, LR, LS, shrimp, snails, crabs :/ I don't think 90F would be a good idea XD

i think its best to keep the fish you would like to keep in a qt tank and treat the ick in there. set the main in hypo for treatment. return fish to lfs that you dont want to keep.

Are you planning on having your lfs quarantine and treat your fish for the ick? Do you still have all those fish in your info list? I think vsnsofadrgn has a better, more logical plan:
i think its best to keep the fish you would like to keep in a qt tank and treat the ick in there. set the main in hypo for treatment. return fish to lfs that you dont want to keep.

I would get a qt tank and treat the fish in it like vsnsofadrgn suggested. Unless the LFS is willing to treat them for ich for you. Do you still have that 29 gal? You could use that as a qt tank. That way whenever you want to get a new fish you can qt it and make sure that no ich gets into your tank! Either way I hope it works out for you-

Back
Top Bottom