redsea's 29g BioCube Build #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OH RED! I am soo sorry to hear about your clown, you had a nice looking fish there. :-(

Some clowns are more territorial than others, it comes down to the actual fish as far as guessing aggressiveness. Was the clown a percula mix or an oscellaris mix? I have found that perculas are a tad bit more nasty than their friends the oscellaris.
I agree on the 40b too! I love the footprint, it makes for some nice rockscapes. Too bad you didnt live anywhere near me as I will be selling off my 40 at some time in the near future.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for your input! I am definitely thinking I will go for the 40g when I go for tank #2! (I will be keeping the BioCube also). I thought both Clowns were Oscellaris, but maybe one wasn't which caused the issue....

I will definitely keep everyone posted!

I have some exciting news (well, at least for me! LOL). Today I went to the LFS and got three Mexican Turbo Snails, 5 Red Leg Hermits, and a Cleaner Shrimp. I am so excited about the Turbo Snails because I remember how fantastic they were in my old 34g RedSea Max, boy, can those guys eat and make your tank looks shiny and new! :)

I got the Red Leg Hermits more for enjoyment than to help with cleaning. I just adore Hermits, and the Rzed Legs look really fun with their bright color. I hope to get more Hermits in the future (I love all the varieties they come in!), but I will probably need to order from LiveAquaria, or ask my LFS if they can order them. I really like these for example; Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab

Hey, it's kind of like being able to add more fish, except for these little Hermits don't have a huge Bio-Load :lol:.

Lastly, as you may remember, I had a Cleaner Shrimp in early 2014 that didn't make it. I am hopeful that this one will far much better. He looks very healthy and happy!

There's my update, I am going to try and be online much more frequently from now on. I miss being here more! :D :dance:

Thanks so much for reading, I appreciate it!

I have some exciting news (well, at least for me! LOL). Today I went to the LFS and got three Mexican Turbo Snails, 5 Red Leg Hermits, and a Cleaner Shrimp. I am so excited about the Turbo Snails because I remember how fantastic they were in my old 34g RedSea Max, boy, can those guys eat and make your tank looks shiny and new! :)

I got the Red Leg Hermits more for enjoyment than to help with cleaning. I just adore Hermits, and the Rzed Legs look really fun with their bright color. I hope to get more Hermits in the future (I love all the varieties they come in!), but I will probably need to order from LiveAquaria, or ask my LFS if they can order them. I really like these for example; Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Halloween Hermit Crab
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab

Hey, it's kind of like being able to add more fish, except for these little Hermits don't have a huge Bio-Load :lol:.

Lastly, as you may remember, I had a Cleaner Shrimp in early 2014 that didn't make it. I am hopeful that this one will far much better. He looks very healthy and happy!

There's my update, I am going to try and be online much more frequently from now on. I miss being here more! :D :dance:

Thanks so much for reading, I appreciate it!

Sounds good! I just recently got me one of those Halloween hermits. Very colorful hermit. I usually I only like to have the scarlet reef hermits because of the temperament, but I couldn't pass this guy while they where in! They do require only cone shells though. Still looking to find some of those somewhere.

Here is Spook!
QE4dIes.jpg

Sounds good! I just recently got me one of those Halloween hermits. Very colorful hermit. I usually I only like to have the scarlet reef hermits because of the temperament, but I couldn't pass this guy while they where in! They do require only cone shells though. Still looking to find some of those somewhere.

Here is Spook!
QE4dIes.jpg

OH WOW! He looks so cool, thank you for posting that photo of Spook!

I have never heard of cone shells before, I wonder where you can find them? I still need to purchase some extra hermit crab shells for my new guys for when they outgrow their current ones! I am hoping I can find those at a local LFS somewhere. :)

OH WOW! He looks so cool, thank you for posting that photo of Spook!

I have never heard of cone shells before, I wonder where you can find them? I still need to purchase some extra hermit crab shells for my new guys for when they outgrow their current ones! I am hoping I can find those at a local LFS somewhere. :)

Yea my LFS has plenty of hermit shells, but I haven't seen any of the cone ones. They have a long slit opening. I'm thinking ill probably have to order some. There are shell collectors so i heard that sell all types.

Yea my LFS has plenty of hermit shells, but I haven't seen any of the cone ones. They have a long slit opening. I'm thinking ill probably have to order some. There are shell collectors so i heard that sell all types.

That's interesting! Thanks for the info!

The long slit opening is so unique, I have never seen anything like it before.

Finally, here is a photo of my new Cleaner Shrimp! A few days ago he molted, and looks more "polished" if that makes sense. :lol: I'm happy to have a Cleaner Shrimp again, there has only been one period of time in my saltwater days I can think of at the moment where I didn't have one, they are so much fun.

In other news, I have been thinking heavily about upgrades the past few days, could be anything from 40g to 125g at this point, LOL. I have had this tank for over a year at this point, and I enjoy it, but am also ready to get back into a larger tank too. :) For those that don't know, in my peak (2011-2012) I had a 34g, 55g, and 125g! :) in fall 2012 I sold them for reasons I regret, but I can't go back in time, all I can do is move forward. :) Here are some of my past build threads if you are interested! :D
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/redseas-125g-reef-build-179038.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/redseas-34g-reef-build-167964.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/redseas-55g-reef-build-205985.html

It is always a fun walk through memory lane to look through those!

42687-albums11161-picture68524.jpg

Nice 'cuticle cleaner shrimp'! The one I used to have would always give my finger nails a good cleaning when my hands were in the tank! Can't wait to see how big you go on the upgrade.

Nice 'cuticle cleaner shrimp'! The one I used to have would always give my finger nails a good cleaning when my hands were in the tank! Can't wait to see how big you go on the upgrade.

Oh yes, the Cleaner Shrimp always love to clean humans, it's so funny. Most other ocean creatures try to stay away from humans. :lol: I love that name too, "Cuticle Cleaner Shrimp." Soon they're going to start incorporating Cleaner Shrimp at nails salons, for those who come in to get their cuticles done. :cool:

I am so excited too to see where this upgrade will go, we shall see! :dance:

Those hermits are really amazing looking. I love the inverts anyway, saw a few of these at the lfs last time they were calling my name but I didn't know enough about them and pretty sure they get too big for my 12G. :) Don't they get to be about 5 inches across?

Those hermits are really amazing looking. I love the inverts anyway, saw a few of these at the lfs last time they were calling my name but I didn't know enough about them and pretty sure they get too big for my 12G. :) Don't they get to be about 5 inches across?

Hmmmm, not sure. I just checked this website (Halloween Hermit Crab - Reef Aquarium) and it says around two inches, but they could be wrong. :)

Hmmmm, not sure. I just checked this website (Halloween Hermit Crab - Reef Aquarium) and it says around two inches, but they could be wrong. :)

Yea the hallowed hermits (Ciliopagurus strigatus) top out around 2 inches which is fairly big for a hermit. The shell, however, could be 4 inches maybe. Not 100% on how they measure hermits with them living in shells and all.

Yea the hallowed hermits (Ciliopagurus strigatus) top out around 2 inches which is fairly big for a hermit. The shell, however, could be 4 inches maybe. Not 100% on how they measure hermits with them living in shells and all.

That definitely is property large for a Hermit Crab, my hermits of different species have all been smaller than that for sure. I know Carey has a huge Hermit Crab in her 180g, but I don't remember which kind. :)

So I have some extraordinarily exciting news! I have been offered a 125g Tank with stand and equipment for FREE! Our good neighbors are moving, unfortunately, and they offered it to me, knowing I love fish. The tank has all the equipment for a reef, as that is what it used to be before they converted it to freshwater. Providing all goes as planned, I should have the tank at some point, likely within this month. Yay!

So I have some extraordinarily exciting news! I have been offered a 125g Tank with stand and equipment for FREE! Our good neighbors are moving, unfortunately, and they offered it to me, knowing I love fish. The tank has all the equipment for a reef, as that is what it used to be before they converted it to freshwater. Providing all goes as planned, I should have the tank at some point, likely within this month. Yay!
Whoaa, that is exciting news!!! And for free! Any plans going through your head yet on it?

Wow! That is fabulous! Very extraordinarily exciting news to be sure!!!:dance:
Free sweetens the deal even more! (y) New build thread en route.

Whoaa, that is exciting news!!! And for free! Any plans going through your head yet on it?

Not quite sure yet, I know that I want to make it saltwater, not sure if he still has any of his freshwater fish. I do know that I love my Tangs, so I have to have a couple of them. In my last 125g, while I had it, I had a Scopas and Blue Hippo, but I am going to try something different this time. :) thanks for the comment!

WOOT WOOT!!!! I know you regretted getting rid of your past 125 and now you get another one, for free in fact! The fishie gods are looking down on you. lol I take this as a sign that you are ready to try again. :)

KEEP Us updated!!!!

WOOT WOOT!!!! I know you regretted getting rid of your past 125 and now you get another one, for free in fact! The fishie gods are looking down on you. lol I take this as a sign that you are ready to try again. :)

KEEP Us updated!!!!

Hi there,

Yes, I am ready to try again! I still to this day cannot believe I sold my first one...huge mistake! I will 100% keep everyone updated, the new build thread should be coming soon! :dance::dance::dance:

Hope everything is well in your fish world!

Back
Top Bottom