redsea's 34g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a great picture, but you can see the male guarding the anthellia, the female is buried in it. The colony is about the size of a basket ball.

Attachments

• image-3763651484.jpg
    image-3763651484.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 89
Gregcoyote said:
Not a great picture, but you can see the male guarding the anthellia, the female is buried in it. The colony is about the size of a basket ball.

Wow, that looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Here is yet another photo of the new Fire Shrimp! :)

Attachments

• image-3221513135.jpg
    image-3221513135.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 73
I have seen mine once in two months. He has set up shop on the back side of the reef. It's a shame because he is like yours, very red.

Gregcoyote said:
I have seen mine once in two months. He has set up shop on the back side of the reef. It's a shame because he is like yours, very red.

I did get lucky with this one, my last one found this spot where it was hard to view him. I am glad my new one didn't take that spot! :)

I guess my Fire Shrimp is really social! He is basically in the open in the front of the tank :), he is absolutely nothing like my old one.

Attachments

• image-4288172491.jpg
    image-4288172491.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-377943133.jpg
    image-377943133.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 98
  • image-844512148.jpg
    image-844512148.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 81
Soo awesome! It's making me want to part with $35 for a shrimp! lol

I planned on buying a clam this friday but if you keep that up with your pictures I may have to rethink my clam!
haha

LOL. I guess I have Fire Shrimp fever, I can't stop posting pictures of him!

Everyone one who sees my tank likes to make the whole let's eat your shrimp joke and I say "No, you will not eat my $30 shrimp" LOL

redsea said:
LOL. I guess I have Fire Shrimp fever, I can't stop posting pictures of him!

Everyone one who sees my tank likes to make the whole let's eat your shrimp joke and I say "No, you will not eat my $30 shrimp" LOL

Lol. Sad to say- but I've seen people pay more than that to eat a shrimp. Wish I had that kind of money. Lol

Jlsardina said:
Lol. Sad to say- but I've seen people pay more than that to eat a shrimp. Wish I had that kind of money. Lol

Really? Wow, good thing I don't like seafood, LOL.

So I have been thinking about my ich problem. I know from reading the articles that ich drops off the fish and reproduces, and then finds a host again. The only fish that I can really see a few spots of ich is one of my PJ Cardinal fish. Is it at all possible that my shrimps are getting rid if the ich by eating it?

Thanks! :)

When the parasite erupts thru the surface of the fish's skin, the damage is pretty much done. That is the point where a cleaner might rid the fish of the parasite. I have heard filter feeding corals can capture the spores and can help, but not certain of this. UV filtration can also kill the spores if intense enough.

When the parasite erupts thru the surface of the fish's skin, the damage is pretty much done. That is the point where a cleaner might rid the fish of the parasite. I have heard filter feeding corals can capture the spores and can help, but not certain of this. UV filtration can also kill the spores if intense enough.

When you say permanently damaged, does that mean my fishes are permanently damaged and will not heal? Thank you.

redsea said:
When you say permanently damaged, does that mean my fishes are permanently damaged and will not heal? Thank you.

No, if the parasite goes away, they can heal up fine. It's kind of like small pox (although this is a VERY loose comparison), where the skin is damaged when the parasite matures and free swims, leaving a damaged area that can get infected. Many ICH treatments are designed to thicken the fish's slime coat (it's immune system) so the parasite can't penetrate the flesh.

Gregcoyote said:
No, if the parasite goes away, they can heal up fine. It's kind of like small pox (although this is a VERY loose comparison), where the skin is damaged when the parasite matures and free swims, leaving a damaged area that can get infected. Many ICH treatments are designed to thicken the fish's slime coat (it's immune system) so the parasite can't penetrate the flesh.

Okay, thanks!

Here is an update. Two photos of my Red Mushrooms and I finally have something on my base rock (algae).

redsea said:
Here is an update. Two photos of my Red Mushrooms and I finally have something on my base rock (algae).

It might have helped if I posted the pictures! Lol
I also included one of the Emerald Crab. :) I think he has grown!

Attachments

• image-753809732.jpg
    image-753809732.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2593616791.jpg
    image-2593616791.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 63
  • image-853730906.jpg
    image-853730906.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1854798490.jpg
    image-1854798490.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 88
Here are some more photos of the Emerald....he don't get seen all the time and he looks cool, so I figured I would post some more pictures! :)

Attachments

• image-1252686373.jpg
    image-1252686373.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1456486231.jpg
    image-1456486231.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom