reef addictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but it is reef talk but its more about what would you rather have a reef addiction or a smoking addiction. in the long run i bet you the reef addiction is much cheaper.

i myself have never smoked so i deserve this :p

heres mine, not so much a reef yet unless you call the little polyp i have growing on the top rock

l_1082041_IMG-20120125-00036.jpg

its not bad, i kinda wish it was bigger and that i didn't get a bow front, finding a light fixture was a pain

I'm sure it's not the last tank you'll ever buy and the next one will be bigger. Thanks for mentioning the bow front thing. I was thinking of going that route for my next one but you've changed my mind.

Gti_Leo said:
so i don't know if this is the right place to post this or not but it is reef talk but its more about what would you rather have a reef addiction or a smoking addiction. in the long run i bet you the reef addiction is much cheaper.

i myself have never smoked so i deserve this :p

heres mine, not so much a reef yet unless you call the little polyp i have growing on the top rock

I think your wrong. If its a true reef addiction it can be much more expensive. You always getting that bigger tank

It is healthier to have a reef addiction so it becomes less expensive in the end.

That's only if you run into health problems, lots of smokers outlive perfectly healthy people. And if your not careful a reef tank can destroy your house with mould or even a broken tank. Lots of water damage. So again I disagree. On the other hand I don't smoke either, don't know why I'm trying to justify it.

Gti_Leo said:
its not bad, i kinda wish it was bigger and that i didn't get a bow front, finding a light fixture was a pain

What kind of light did you get? I probably need to upgrade mine and I have a bowfront too :)

well i got a 4 lamp T5ho i would have liked a 6 lamp but findign one that wouldn't overlap the bow part was not easy so i ended up buying a 4x24watt hydrofarm fixture and making legs out of delerin plastic i had kickign around my garage

i have both addictions too and the aquarium addiction is MUCH more expensive. lol

lol in your case i'm sure because you have 9 differnt tanks, but say you smoke a pack a day for your whole life, thats $60 a week in smokes here in canada times 52 weeks a year thats 3100 a year and say you started smoking at 20 and smoke up untill you're 60 thats 30 years for a total of $93000 just to slowly kill yourself, theres no way a reef adiction will even cost you close to that much unless you have some super huge 1000 gallon and you put all the best things in it but even then i could see $50000

I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on my reef tank over the last 20+ yrs. Not even taking into account the original cost of equipment, there is the cost of water for daily top offs and water changes (which is even more expensive if you use RO/DI since alot is wasted), cost of filters for the RO, cost of electricity (I had 845w of lighting over my tank when I ran metal halides plus a couple hundred watts for heaters), cost for replacement bulbs, cost of salt (20g water change/week), carbon/GFO and of course fish food. They all add up to a pretty expensive hobby. :)

That's only if you run into health problems, lots of smokers outlive perfectly healthy people. And if your not careful a reef tank can destroy your house with mould or even a broken tank. Lots of water damage. So again I disagree. On the other hand I don't smoke either, don't know why I'm trying to justify it.
It's just a leading contributor to heart disease (the number 1 cause of death in America), and let's not forget cancer (number 2). the odds are against you.
What is a pack of cigarettes now? 6-7 bucks? A pack a day habit would run you about 50 dollars a week. My reef doesn't cost me that much.

I have one vice left and yes, it's a filthy habit that can lead to disease. :-(

I'm down to less than a pack a day from a high of 3 packs a day so thats something.

I'm in Florida and they are cheap here, like $55 for a cartonbefore coupon. lol So yeah i spend about $150 in smokes a month but I spend well over $200 on fish, corals and supplies every month. So the fish still win out. :-D

oh yes, the majority is new stuff. But theres test refills, salt which I blow through over here with all the tanks, general stuff like ro filters here and there, fish food etc...I'd probably say with water and electricity even that it costs me about $60-$70 a month to upkeep all my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom