Reef / Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used this type of reef/ base rock in there reefs
http://www.petsolutions.com/Reef-Rock+I12517147.aspx

Currently I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 90 pounds of lr, I want to get this number up to around 150 pounds or so and I believe I am going to order 30 pounds of the lalo rock from live aquaria. I still need 30 or so more pounds and have been looking at this base rock here to fill the rest of my tank up. If i use this base rock how long will it be before it loses its white appearance and actually looks like live rock ? will it ever become live rock ? if I buy it should I put it straight into my aquarium or should i put in the tub with the lalo rock while it cycles ? If I a few pieces of it up and cycle it with the lalo rock or put it directly into my cannister will it serve the same purpose of lr rubble

Thanks

I never used that base rock, but have seen it for sale at ThatFishPlace. Looks like nice rock. I guess it depends on how dense the rock you have now is, but I only have about 100 lbs in my 75 and that is plenty.
You can just throw it in your tank since it won't cause any new cycle. You can put it in with the stuff your curing too...won't help or hurt.
It will become live rock when it's populated by the good bacteria we want in our tanks. Hard to say when it actually become "live". It will grow algea on it just like anything else in your tank...again, just takes time.
I never used a canister filter, but putting some rubble in it can't hurt.

Ok I went to order base rock because its cheaper and eventually will become live. I needed like 30 pounds to get 2#s per gallon the base rock is like 50 dollars for 45-50 pounds but like 50 dollars shipping as well. I found this deal http://www.intmarinefish.com/liverock.html And I got 30 pounds of carribean cured live rock for 117.00 with no shipping charges at all. Even if you order 500 pounds it is free shipping. Not sure how long the deal was going on So I just placed my order today. A little less rock but hopefully I will get some good coraline coverage and beneficial bacteria. I even called them they were really nice and told them what size and type of pieces I wanted they had just got a shipment in and they told me they would give me the 5-8 pound peices I wanted.

Pet Solutions only charged me 11 dollars to ship out the 50 pounds of base rock in the link from my first post on this thread. Just thought I would let you know Figiwigi in case you still need some base rock.

Back
Top Bottom